Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is a JTS unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHTF

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2010
SG
I have come across some enquiries from a client where they ordered some tubes, and the unit of measurement is stated as "jts". So can anyone tell me about this jts unit and which standard it falls in? and is this some sort a unique and special unit of measurement. Thank very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi zdas04,

I don't think is joint, I actually just found some information from an existing project where 1 JTS is equal to 40ft.

I have no idea what standard that comes from...

Mr Fish,

A link for you:

thread378-100550

In old world oilspeak, a pipe length is a 'joint'. So, if a double random length is 40 feet and, by your definition '1 JTS' = 40 feet, would it be a reasonable deduction that 1 JTS also equals 1 DRL?

If not, then maybe it's one of these:

JTS Jewish Theological Seminary (New York City)
JTS Jump the Shark
JTS Java Topology Suite
JTS Jet Thrust Stoichiometric (Alfa Romeo)
JTS Java Transaction Services
JTS Joint Training System
JTS Juvenile Tracking System
JTS Joint Tactical Simulation
JTS Janesville Transit System
JTS Job Training Standard
JTS Joint Test Subassembly
JTS Joint Targeting School (Virginia Beach, Virginia)

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

JTS: Just Throw away Short terms?!

I am amazed how some people are using old-day specs without once considering issues like this. At least they could have a nomenclature at the beginning of the tender.
And of course we should joint forces to ban abbreviations without a clear referencing at documents.

To the tuna fish:

Strongly advise you to ask the folks who wrote it. I wouldn't guess at a TLA when quoting for actual money.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

TLA = three letter acronym

I'd guess it's joints... but do they mean

range 1 (18-22ft), range 2 (27- 30ft) or range 3 (38- 45ft) drill pipe joints as per API 5D or

range 1 (16- 25ft), range 2 (25- 34ft) or range 3 (34- 48ft) casing as per API 5CT or

range 1 (20- 24ft) or range 2 (28- 32) tubing as per API 5CT or

the 20 ft single random length and the 40ft double random length that used to be found in API 5L for line pipe?

Go and ask them for a clarification!

Nic,
Didn't you see above that the OP is pretty sure that it isn't "joints". I've been ordering tubular products by the joint for nearly 30 years, but I guess it really means something like Jump the Shark like SJones suggested.

David

its definitely joints of pipe

A "SRL" joint is a single random length, roughly equal to a random number between approximately 20 to apx. 22 ft

A "DRL" joint is a double random length, 2 SRLs welded together, so a DRL is around 40-44 feet in length

17-1058074210T.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back