Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is an "Engineering Firm"? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStansfield

Industrial
Aug 9, 2002
Can a firm call itself an engineering firm if they have PE's on staff, yet the principal's of the firm are not PE's? Or can a firm be an "engineering firm" only if all of the principal's are Professional Engineers? I have heard conflicting information ....

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my state, you have to show a licence to get a business permit, but it doesn't have to be from an officer of the company. Their reasoning is that an "Engineering" firm must be capeable of stamping drawings that the state requires stamped.

A construction company here was founded by a PE and had the "engineering" term in the title. When he sold out, they were required to remove the term since the new owners had zero PE's on staff.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

In Texas, the firm has to be licensed with the state board if they are practicing professional engineering and using variations of the term "engineer" in their name. To license the firm, at least one of the officers must be a licensed professional engineer.

It is also an ethics violation for a licensed engineer to work for an unlicensed firm practicing professional engineering.

A certain percentage of ownership by PE's is required in NC (2/3 in fact).

I would consult your state board and the secretary of state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back