Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is COF for level transmitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PW2006

Mechanical
Aug 22, 2006
US
I have provided the datasheets for selecting the level transmitters for some vessels. These level transimitters will be installed either on the top nozzels or on the bridles of the vessels. I have included the Normal, L, LL, Hi, Hi-Hi ligquid level information. The vessel overall dimensions are also shown.

But the problem is that the user wants to get the COF (center of float?) information for these level transmitters. What is the exact definition of COF? What is the purpose/reason of using this number? Is it really necessary to have it in order to select the correct level transmitter?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

COF could also mean Center of Flange if it were a side mounted DP.
If it's a top mounted Magneto-restrictive type it wold have a float, perhaps they are trying to figure out how much of the float is immersed.
Or perhaps they don't know what they are talking about.
Regards
Roy

I don't know about COF. I am aware of marking on some displacement level devices. For level transmitters most of us prefer the term displacer over float. The term float is normally used for level switches.

Level switches have a center position with markings for the high level and low level switching points. Depending upon the manufacturer, the marks could be the actual switching point for the minimum specific gravity of that model; or perhaps for water. See the vendor data to assure that this is understood. For mixed hydrocarbons, the marks are not likely the actual switch points for the fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back