Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is definition of 4th and 5th axis in post builder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tao Ye

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2021
US
Hello, we have just bought a five-axis machine tool and I am configuring the post processor for it with UG NX. I searched for the document about 4th and 5th axis definition and it seems there is no precise explanation of them. Especially, the definition of "4th axis" is ambiguous for "Table-Head" type machine. Should the "4th axis" be the rotating head or the rotating table?.
I also noticed the NX document said:

"here is a general restriction in Post Builder that the C axis (XY plane) cannot be the 4th axis of a 5-axis machine tool.

In order to get the correct output for a dual head rotary 5-axis machine tool with a B-axis in the ZX plane attached to a C-axis in the XY plane, you must define the fourth axis as B in the ZX plane, and the fifth axis as C in the XY plane. The machine tool display function will not work correctly for this configuration; however, the NC program output will be correct."

Could anyone please help me on the definition of "4th axis" and "5th axis" for each type of five-axis machine : "Table-Head", "Head-Head", and "Table-Table"? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back