Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is difference between UL/FM approved pump and general pump 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAGE

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2003
TH
One daft question regarding the difference between fire pump UL/FM approved and general pump in the same capacities apart from its price. Technical aspects only !

Test method? material components specified ? or even some prohibits according to the related code, NFPA ?

please shed me some light on this question.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

UL Listed/FM Approved Fire Pump Motors are designed to run until they come apart. Standard electric motor has safeties to save the motor i.e. shut down before damage occurs, not a good thing during a fire.

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Thanks indeed, LCREP

Will only the motor be tested in that criterion to get UL/FM approved?

Does it have other testings such as the material concerned, its local control panel and so forth?

I've been trying to find some related documents talking about the approved criteria (in details) on internet but it was to no avail. Please give me a source.

Thanks again.

One cannot buy a listed fire pump "motor". Listings apply to the pump and motor package provided by the manufacturer, and come with test data (flow curves) unique to that package. I would suggest calling a representative of one of the major pump manufacturers (Aurora, Armstrong, Clarke, etc) for more info.

Controllers and Transfer Switches are also listed for fire service.

Regards
D

TAGE,

LCREP gave a good summary.

The UL standard is UL488 -- and there are many ancillary standards within the UL library, such as UL218 for fire pump controllers. There's also UL488A for the coupling between the pump and its driver, UL448B for residential versions, and UL448C for positive-displacement versions.

They're available for purchase from UL online, or occasionally you can find such in large public libraries.

Someone who is more familiar with all the standards may be able to give you an overview, though.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

The question is too general: I´ll say that there a lot of small requirements on the pump itself, the pipe array, the power source the motor or engine, the controllers, the controllers connections. So if you can be more specific.... .
If not just a long read to compare NFPA 20 with a regular pump installation.

Thanks for all suggestions, actually the problem is from the jockey pump!. The project requirement specifies the jockey pump is appoved by UL like the main fire pump.

But the dispute has been made that the jockey pump is only pressure maintenance in the fire system and not classified as the fire protection purpose. As a result, no UL approval applied for this jockey pump.

I'm trying to mediate the owner by providing the owner the reasonable technical aspect(s) including some compensation.

Further to my above questions, Does the jockey pump curve need to be according to NFPA 20 fig A-3-2 Pump characteristics curve or not ?

Thanks in advance again

A pressure maintenance pump is not required to be listed, but it does need to comply with NFPA 20, based on the most current edition.

A pressure maintenance pump does not need a pump test curve - it only maintains pressure. It has no impact on the required flow capacity of the fire pump.

I think the points that NFPA 20 addresses requirements for the jockey pump is related to:
-the on off pressure set points that shoul be related to the pressure set start point of the main pump,
-the sensing line connections.

Other local requirements say that the suction point of the jockey should be connected directly to the water supply in order to have the system full even if the manin pump is out of order.

You could use any means to keep the system full and pressurized but keep in mind that to start the main pump with low pressure setting, it is not easy to find something to replace a jockey pump.

To be listed or not, is related to the type of controller contents, since the UL has a standard for an industrial type of controller with specific options for the jockey pump. In some cases you have to add a timer in the controller to help the jockey pump to work in an economic and efficient way, to avoid frequent starts.

So in general it is not needed but helpful if it is listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back