Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is difference in API607 and API6FA? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iffluan

Industrial
Aug 7, 2005
US
Can anyone tell me the difference in API607 IV edition and API6FA for fire safe testing? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API 6FA applies to quarter turn soft seated valves as covered in API 6D - Pipeline Valves includes ball and plug valves.

API has 2 divisions - Production and refining. API 6FA and 6D are from the division of Production and API 607 and 608 are from the division of refining.

Hi, all. Thank you very much. my customer request API6FA, but my testing standard is API607, does it meet the customer's requirement?
Ball valves/soft seat/300#. Thank you!

Iffluan,

I suggest that you approach your client with a formal request for deviation to allow you to offer API 607 in lieu of API 6FA. I have done this many times and usually there is no issue but, at the end of the day, it is good for both parties to have a formal document accepting the difference. I would argue that API 607 is the more demanding of the two standards and therefore this request is not unreasonable.

I do not believe that it is possible to perform one fire test will allow you to state that you have achieved compliance to both standards.

Sorry if this may seem slightly off-topic, but... is it true that ISO 10497 (2nd edition, 2004-08-15)* has been adopted by API as the 5th edition of API 607?

Has anyone ever faced a type test according to these latest editions? Are there important differences in respect to the relevant previous editions of both standards?

Thanks to all, 'NGL

* See:

Hold ON Y'all

API 6FA PALES in comparison to the API 607 Firesafe regulations.

Do the homeworkand see that if a Valve Complies with 607 (4th edition- Basically the Exxon partial burn test) then that valve would LAUGH at meeting 6FA standards.

There is no contest. Show your customer both test qualifications and let him make his own decisions.

ValveDude*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back