Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is E80 Loading? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeNormanTiger

Civil/Environmental
Feb 10, 2004
US
I have searched the internet, and the only thing that I have found is a Cooper E80(Type of train?) loading. I still dont know what a E80 Load is(i.e. 10,000, 20,000 #s).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cooper E80 simulates the live load from a train, usually on a bridge. It is a series of point loads (simulating locomotive wheels) followed by uniform distibuted load of 8 kips per linear foot of track (the total load on two rails to simulate railcars). As is so often the case, it is more complicated that this. There are factors for impact, sideways imbalances, longitudinal forces, multiple tracks, different values for reaction, shear & moment that all differ depending on span length.

Most civil engineering handbooks, especially older editions, will give give some coverage to Cooper loading.

A final note, the "Standard" Cooper train is an E10. Cooper E80 is eight times larger and is a reasonable approximation for the requirements of a main railway line.

The best reference that I have is:
"Standard Handbook for Civil Engineers"
Published by McGraw-Hill
I have the Third Edition (1983)
Editor - Frederick S. Merritt
Chapter 17 covers Cooper loading.

Get a copy of the Manual for Railway Engineering from AREMA, the American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association. The manual is expensive and not available on-line. Most highway and railroad engineering firms and construction firms have a copy. If you know one of these firms, maybe you can review their copy or you can buy a manual for $400 or $500 approximately. Look for the AREMA site on-line.

I am designing my first box culvert for Cooper E80 loading. I'm not sure I understand the earth pressure loadings and the section/article 2.2.3c(2)of AREMA 2004 is confusing too. Can anyone help me out with some clarification?

Thanks

LakeNormanTiger: Also know this: despite the best calculations to the contrary, the Railroad companies will not approve any covers less than their standards. Being prepared for this is being for-armed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back