Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is good Earthwork Estimating and Field Operations Tracking Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

4vp

Civil/Environmental
Aug 28, 2014
US
We are small/midsize Earthwork specialty subcontractor. We have been utilizing Excel Spreadsheet for estimating for past 20 years. We are in the process of looking for best earthwork estimating and field operations tracking software. We are looking for estimating software that can have real time job costing from the field operations on a daily basis or at least weekly basis. Please share your valuable experience. Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Paydirt is what most grading contractors around here use to do quantity takeoff during precon. Not sure what if any functionality it has for operations.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Has anyone used Bid2Win and/or HCSS for Earthwork Estimating (not a take off software). Can you give us thoughts on either one or comparison if you know both?

I just made an iPhone/iPad app to estimate the cost of earthworks based on your excavator and truck stats. I use it to replace our excel spreadsheets and do quick estimates. Here is the app store link Earthworks Calculator . You put in:
[ul]
[li]Haul Distance[/li]
[li]Average Speed: The average speed of the trucks along the route between sites.[/li]
[li]Truck Volume[/li]
[li]Dump Time: Extra time required by truck to manoeuvre at fill / spoil site. Can be zero.[/li]
[li]bucket volume[/li]
[li]bucket cycle time[/li]
[li] hourly cost of excavator, truck, labour*, dozer*, water cart*, roller*, grader* * = not required[/li]
[li] if it's spoil and not fill you can put in the disposal fee[/li]
[/ul]

It calculates:
[ul]
[li]production rate for your excavator [/li]
[li] number of trucks you need[/li]
[li] cost per cubic yard or cubic meter [/li]
[li] adjust the number of trucks and see how that changes your production rates and costs change.[/li]
[/ul]

I'll put out a calculator for scrapers in the future.

I have used HCSS for estimating as well as Hard Dollar and I have also used excel.

I think the bonus to using HCSS or Hard Dollar over excel is that you can have maintained data for labor, equipment etc. These programs make it easier to compare side by side estimates etc. These programs also have built in bid balancing systems which can be nice. I am not sure about HCSS but I know that Hard Dollar also has a project controls / project management side that sounds like what you are looking for. I am not sure if they do realtime/daily costs but i'd be willing to bet they do weekly costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back