What is in-plane stiffness of contact element and how to calculate that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinni1

Civil/Environmental
Sep 27, 2021
IE
Hello,

I am performing numerical simulations of the axial-compressive test of cold-formed steel-lipped channel sections (stud) connected to a small length of U sections (track) at both ends with self-tapping screws under axial-compressive loading (displacement-controlled loading along the length of the stud-i.e, z direction in Abaqus model). I have introduced contact interaction between the stud and track through a general contact algorithm. In the normal direction, I applied hard contact, and in the tangential direction, I applied the coulomb frictional coefficient through the penalty friction method. The picture of the model is attached herewith.

My question is:
Is there any way to define the in-plane stiffness of the contact elements? How I should do that? Any possible help or direction towards finding the answer to my query is highly appreciated!

CFS_contact_jcljhr.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your response. Yes, it is stiffness in the tangential direction. It is Abaqus explicit analysis.

Then check the documentation chapter "Frictional behavior", paragraph "Stiffness method for imposing frictional constraints in Abaqus/Explicit". Badically, the penalty stiffness in the tangential direction is in this case the same as the hard contact stiffness in the normal direction by default. You can modify it by specifying tangential softening (slope of the shear stress vs elastic slip relationship) or using a scale factor in contact controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back