Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is in your structural inspection bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sforesman

Structural
Jul 11, 2008
US
Fairly new structural engineer here. I'm looking to fill a grab bag with all of the necessary tools needed for a structural inspection of an existing structure. Currently my list is:

100 foot tape
25 foot tape
calipers
hammer & nails
string
4 foot level
hardhat
shovel
good flashlight
headlamp
protractor
clipboard
knife

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In addition to the above items, I use a pocket microscope to view cracks and it measures in 0.1 mm. I also have zip lock bags, alcohol swabs, a compass (for north), scalpel blades, jewellers screwdrivers, tweezers, fluorescent tape, concrete temperature thermometer, notebook, gloves and a voice recorder.

This is supplemented by two temperature data loggers, an infrared temperature device, a hilti laser measuring device, a hilti laser level, an incremental borer, and a 5 second theodolite.

Dik

Make sure you have pencils to take notes - if your notepad gets wet in the rain then pens will often not work but pencils always do (this is particularly important in the UK.)

A compass is sometimes useful when you dont have existing drawings and you want to be able to refer to the north wall e.t.c.

But usually all I have are helmet boots, drawings tapemeasure and notepad this covers 90% of visits.

Handheld Ultrasonic Range Finder ($25+ US) or Handheld Laser Range Finder ($100+ US). Very handy to get both horizontal and overhead approximate distance measurements by yourself.

Ultrasonic type is ok for short distance measurements to large flat surfaces (walls, ceilings, etc.).

Laser type is more versatile, accurate and better for longer distances (say 25+ ft)

[idea]

[r2d2]

A set of spark plug gap and feeler gauge blades for measuring cracks and gaps. The wire type of gauges is also useful for jagged cracks where a wide blade won't fit. They're each about $5 in the automotive department.

A density based rebar locator, And a semi to haul all this stuff around in...

Plus a copy of your errors and omissions liability insurance policy.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

A paint brush to sweep away debris before you take a picture of the crack (etc.) caliper or crack gauge measurement device. A good digital camera is essential. I carry a plump bob and a 4' level where ever I go as well. A grid pad. Fall Arrest Safety harness. Lots of good suggestions above. I love taking things apart so have a bunch of demo tools. Oh yes I have an 8" nail puller that 'rings' on sound concrete, took a while to find it.

csd72 (Structural) 11 Jul 08 17:32
Make sure you have pencils to take notes - if your notepad gets wet in the rain then pens will often not work but pencils always do (this is particularly important in the UK.)

To further this point I often take along surveying field books, as they are designed to be written on in wet weather.

In addition to some of the above;

Disposable Tyvek overalls
Piece of carpet to kneel on
Sharpened roofing punch to probe for decayed timber
JSA (job safety analysis document)
phone
3m (10') tape (easy to carry in pocket and large enough for most measurements)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back