Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is in your structural inspection bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sforesman

Structural
Jul 11, 2008
US
Fairly new structural engineer here. I'm looking to fill a grab bag with all of the necessary tools needed for a structural inspection of an existing structure. Currently my list is:

100 foot tape
25 foot tape
calipers
hammer & nails
string
4 foot level
hardhat
shovel
good flashlight
headlamp
protractor
clipboard
knife

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wow, you guys carry a lot of crap...er stuff around with you. Do you bring an intern with you to carry it all around the job site?

As a structural engineer, other than a tape measure and a crack card (clear credit card with crack widths marked), I have never needed any specific tools for all the routine structural inspections I have done over the last 15 years. I am not referring to material testing or bolt tightness inspections (where I might need feeler gages if using load indicating washers). I am talking about going on site to inspect the contractor's work to see that it is in general conformance with my design. I also do a fair bit of Threshold Inspection work here in Florida. But even that doesn't need more than a tape measure, as the testing agency will be doing all the complicated testing (concrete sampling, weld inspections, etc).

A notepad and a camera are the two most important tools I carry with me for all inspections. And try to have some indication of scale in all of your photos, particularly of small items like cracks or voids in concrete. A pen or business card is great for showing scale of small items.

It seems a lot to me too, if it requires this much work then I would arrange for a builder to meet me on site with the required equipment. Usually it doesnt though, a tape measure and a camera is generally enough.

I think we are getting alot of differing equipment because of the different roles and type of work we perform.

Beyond a sharp pencil, notepad, camera, tapes, 6 foot rule, caliper, lumber chalk, string, plumb bob, small screwdriver, chipping hammer and safety gear, I cannot think of much else that I would need. Anything beyond that I would hire a contractor and/or testing consultant.

To extend jike's post, I brought along a harness and line for bridge inspections. It certainly depends on what you're doing.

An aside on gear bags - in July 2001 I flew out to California to do a bridge inspection. On the way back, my bag had my harness, an 18" long screw driver (high-tech wood pile tester), a large MagLite flash light (the 4 D-cell size), and a sliver of rail that I picked up from the bridge (to use as a paperweight), among other things. I carried this bag on the plane and the only thing I was questioned about was the piece of rail. I told them it was a conversation piece for my office and they waved me through security. Naturally, when I went back in November of 2001, I checked that bag - times have really changed...

If you "heard" it on the internet, it's guilty until proven innocent. - DCS

A Manual Concrete Rebound Test Hammer can be used if you are concerned with non-destructive testing of hardened concrete for it's compressive strength. However, there are some pros and cons to it.

Empty the bag...yeah. Even before 9/11 I got in trouble at security because someone had handed me a rebar sample on a previous trip and it was still in my bag on the next trip. (Not to mention that I'd been dragging around a couple of extra pounds of steel for no good reason.)

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Two things in my bag that might not be in yours:

A small piece of mirror to reflect sunlight down a drilled pier hole. Works way better than a flashlight.

Plunge cut type of sheetrock saw.

Oh and one of those startrek communication devices to get beamed out of danger when you tell them that they have to redo the whole floor.

Another use for a mirror...
From my days as a coatings (bridge painting) inspector...an extendable mirror to see thoses inacessable areas.
Also don't forget your hardhat and other safety gear.

business cards :)

Cell phone with camera, so I can send a pic to my boss so he will understand what I am talking about.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back