Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is lateral flare piping? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackson

Chemical
Aug 13, 2005
CA
I was looking for some information in API 521 and I came across a reference for sizing tailpipes and laterals based on rated flow.

I was originally under the impression that laterals and tailpipes were one in the same (single-source piping directly downstream of releiving device).

If someone could offer a description of laterals and tailpipes, I would appreciate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

your impression is correct. Laterals and Tail pipe are the same,meaning the immediate outlet piping attached to a relieving device, upto the point where it ties into the main or sub-flare header.

In API 521 (section 5.4.1.3.1) it is mentioned that "In general, laterals and tailpipes from individual devices are sized based on the rated capacity of the device,...". This sounds like laterals and tailpipes are different piping?

Tailpipes to me would be the piping directly downstream of the PSV. The lateral is typically a subheader that collects discharges from various PSVs and routes them into the main flare header.

It's not a hard and fast distinction in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back