Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is Minimum Spec PC for Acad2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Computer
Dec 16, 2002
GB
If anyone is running Acad2004 I wonder if you could tell me the minimum spec of PC that 2004 would be "happy" to run on.

At the moment I have a 500mhz PC with only 64mb RAM but at the moment I do not want to spend a load on new motherboard, processor and RAM.

I need to know the average machine to run it.

Many Thanks & Merry Christmas from sunny South Wales, UK

Welshman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to Autodesk:

System Requirements

Intel® Pentium® III or later, with 800 MHz or faster processor, or compatible
Microsoft® Windows® XP (Professional, Home Edition, or Tablet PC Edition), Windows 2000, or Windows NT® 4.0 (SP6a or later)
256 MB RAM (recommended)
300 MB free disk space for installation
1024x768 VGA with true color (minimum)
Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0
CD-ROM drive
Mouse, trackball, or compatible pointing device

,, But I wouldn't try it,, the requirements seems to low and my guess is that you would have to shut down everything to make it run relatively smoothly.

Tom

Unless 2004 is vastly different from 2002,tomol's recommendation seems high. I run 2002 with multiple sessions and other stuff minimized with a Pentium III at 500mh but with 198 meg of ram.

Haggis,

Taken that you just wants to run Autocad, I agree. My point is that for work-purposes, if you'r in a network, running a Virus program, Lotus Notes, Excel etc. this is not sufficient. When logged on (running only company standard "start-up" applications, my machine uses 230 MB RAM.
As I see it, Taken into consideration the low RAM prices there is no reason to accept the problems of working "on the disk".

Regards,

Tom

Having looked into the price of RAM & seeing how cheap it is at the moment I am firstly going to upgrade my RAM to 256MB and see how the softare runs on my 500mhz machine once this is fitted. If it is too slow then upgrading the board & processor will have to be my next move.

Many thanks to Tomol & Haggis for giving me their machine specs, I never believe the minimum spec offer by Autodesk so I am glad to have compared notes with you guys.

Regards

The Welshman

Tomol,

Right now I am working in AutoCAD with a large drawing showing reinforced concrete,Lotus Notes is running in the background,Excel is also opened with a reinforcing design spreadsheet,ViruScan is working and I'm doing this too. I am on a large corporate network. Oh yes,I have my Xmas lights blinking away at the top of my screen playing carols with a snowman screen saver. I had second thoughts but it has been two years since we have had a PC refresh so if it is 500MHz that's all it is.

Anyway, I hope Santa is good to yourself and the Welshman.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year from a Scot in the Great White North (Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back