Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is normal solids conc in the discharge of a Hot lime softener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConsultUS

Chemical
Nov 3, 2002
MX
I am trying to automate the process of several Hot lime softeners.
The valve suppliers is asking me the concentration of solids in the discharge line of the softener to control the flow output.
Can anibody tell me please what is the solids concentration in Pounds per gallon or Grms per liter please in the treated water?.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A properly operated hot lime softener should have relatively low solids in the effluent, the key words here being "properly operated". These units are susceptible to chemistry and temperature upsets which could lead to a great deal of solids carryover.
The manufacturer of the softeners should be able to furnish an answer since this data would be necessary to size polishing filters, backwash tanks etc.

Thanks Wiggs.
I am fully aware of your very right statments.
My problem is that this are very old softeners where the manufacturer no longer cares about them.
Do you know a ball park number.
Thanks again

Way less than 200 ppm total suspended solids, likely less than 50, and probably around 20 ppm. Its not much lower than this or deep bed filters downstream of a softener wouldn't be required to protect downstream water softener ion exhange beds, etc, as they typically are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back