Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what is the allowable deflection for shoring piles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickky

Structural
Mar 24, 2006
US
Hi,

I was always wondering if there is any code recomended allowable deflection for the shoring piles (mostly residential buildings).

I do have the "shoring and trenching manual" of Caltrans which recomends %0.2 of wall height. But this seems to be a very stringent requirement.

Does anybody have any other reference material with this regard?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

vanik,

The limit depends on

1) The strength and stiffness of your shoring system

2) What the person working in the pit will tolerate

Obviously, the more deflection, the closer you are getting to the limit state of your system.

Jeff

All though there is no hard and fast rule on this, I try to keep deflections under 1". If you have too much deflection, you start to get secondary effects that are not really accounted for in the design. This agan is not any code, but my own personal preference. note that deflection calculations for sheeting are more of an estimate than a precise calculation.

Dear Friend
Maybe there is some codes for shoring deflections, but it is better to make a caculated negative deflection for shoring in such away that you don't have any downward deflection after deassembling og of shorings.
This should be done specialy for larg spans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back