Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

what is the best freeware program for making electrical schematics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transitmech

Automotive
Nov 19, 2002
US
I'm looking for a good freeware or possibly a cheap shareware design program for making automotive electrical schematics. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like Pspice for circuit design and simulation and Eagle for PCB layout. Student versions of Pspice are freeware, and I believe Eagle has a freeware version with some limited capability.

I've been fooling around with Eagle (cadsoftusa.com) for couple of days (both schematic and pcb), very impressive software.Called them, got a CD ROM in couple of days and all my questions answered (on a freeware). Freeware manual limited and you need CAD background to bull through it, size of the board is also limited. They say that the manual for their Standard package ($400) is 200 pages and much more comprehensive. Their top of the line package is $1200, still beats ORCAD and PADS combined by the mile.

Hello,

Eagle is the way to go. I tried OrCad and the other biggies evualuation software and couldn't figure out how to use the software. With EAGLE I was able to figure it out without the manual easily and I have no CAD experience. There are only a few neuances, like "Copy" and "Paste" don't work instead you use "Cut" and "Paste". And you don't connect with "Wire" that's for drawing lines, you use "Net". The program was written in Germany so you have to get used the way they to do things. Aside from that the program is awesome, the only limitation is board size and a one page schematic. But it doesn't limit the numbers of pins or components you use like other programs. I convinced my company to get the professional version for 1200$ and it does it all if used for schematic and board layout.

Get Eagle from Its free for non-commercial use with limitation of only double sided boards and 100x 80mm. Has autorouting and schematic editor, reqally good once you get over the learning curve. Only bad part is the library editor and lack of parts in it.

You should really check out
They offer an itegrated (freeware) schematic editor and board layout program that features auto-routing. This software is extremely easy to use and also gives you the ability to upload your board layout directly to their manufacturing site for a less than 3 day turn-around on a board design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back