Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best rastor format to export to for quality? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wrote down the results of a study that I spotted on the while back. It indicated that TIFF/EP, PNG, and the EXIF flavor of JPEG were the best. I think in that order. File sizes no doubt are huge to large, respectively.

OTOH, I was outputting drawings for use in a PowerPoint presentation the other day, and WMF was the only format with enough 'punch' to "read" well; also, the only format that I could output to be transparent. (Others' mileage probably varies . . .)

Cheers . . . Rocky

By itself, AutoCAD is a little whimpy on outputting raster but I have seen good results for WMF with BetterWMF, and for TIF with Imagenation. These two software packages really enhance quality and give you more choices. An interesting thing about WMF is that is can convert back into AutoCAD vector format (although not scaled).

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right "
.. Henry Ford

AutoCAD has a good quality of image exporting if you know how to setup the printer correctly. Whimpy would only be you choose a low res setting.

And my vote goes to TIFF for the best format from AutoCAD.

But TGA (targa files) files are far superior to all files.

Hello, Rich Willis:

The best raster output for AutoCAD depends on where you want to that output to go. My experience with outputting AutoCAD for uses other than plotting drawings is limited to MSWord documents and .pdf files. I have found that .tif works best for Word documents, especially if you use non-AutoCAD fonts in your drawing. .tif files in Word behave properly without such weirdness as flaky line weights and wandering text. Even .pdf has problems with non-AutoCAD fonts.

I can recommend an inexpensive program called Amethyst CADconvert which converts .dwg files on a batch basis to any of a number of graphics raster formats, including .tif, .jpg, .wmf and several others.

Amethyst's web address is:
I hope this helps.

"walkingman"

Gosh - for Word and Powerpoint I find the best quality is simply cut and paste!! Change the background color to white and it will be transparent. Adjust the window size so there is little blank space all around to reduce the cropping needed. Paste as picture, not as AutoCAD object. Voilla!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back