Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best way to import a SolidWorks Assembly into V5? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubreyair

Automotive
Oct 25, 2005
US
I have an assembly that has gone from Cadkey to SolidWorks and now my Supervisor wants this assembly detailed in Catia V5.
I exported for SolidWorks as an .iges file and opened in Catia V5.
Under the compatibility iges tab I selected map 308/408 iges entities onto a products structure because I wanted to keep the design tree.
I had Catia V5 training 3 years ago and never used it so forgive my limited knowledge.
Now it looks like I don't get the option to save this iges as a Catpart.
Should I have checked the map to product structure box?
Or is there a better way of doing this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

try and use the .STEP file format to transfer the data. Save the Solidworks assy as .Step. and then Import it to Catia. this will ensure that your tree structure is maintained.

For catia Product you can Save it is .CATProduct and not as .CATPart so please save the same and all the related components will save.

Amit

Assuming you have the STEP import module, this is the best way to go.
Just make certain you export all required objects - surfaces and wireframe are not usually exported (talking from UG experience).

I exported my assembly from SolidWorks as a step file.
However once I opened it up in Catia V5 I have a part tree but the assembly isn't displayed.
Any ideas?

HI,

Just check the size of the Step file, it might have happened that the Geometry is not transferred at all. to check that try and import the same in Solid works and see if all the 3d data is importing otherwise you have to change the export setting in Solidworks to translate the geometry.

Regards
amit

Step file has size to it and actually came into SolidWorks ok.
I may be able to work with this iges file I brought in.
It has the parts tree and looks ok.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back