Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the difference between a pressure safety valve (PSV) and a rel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ris2

Chemical
Aug 28, 2003
TT
Can someone indicate the differences in safety valves and relief valves and what each is used for.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

they both relieve pressure, but the valves are designed and sized to different standards.

Case in point are boiler safeties versus over pressure relief of a unfired vessel.

you can start with standards commonly used in your industry or just contact a vendor. most catalogs have a brief technical section to get you started. engineering handbooks (Marks, Perry's, etc) also have sections that deal with over pressure protection.

To follow up on hacksaw's response;
ASME B&PV Code Section I, part UG-67 foot note 1 has excellent definitions regarding the functions of a safety valve, relief valve and safety relief valve. I will try to summarize;

safety valve; an automatic pressure relieving device actuated by static pressure upstream of the valve... used for gas or vapor service.

relief valve; same definition as above but opens futher with an increase in pressure over the opening pressure - provides relieving capacity - used in liquid service.

safety relief valve - can perform either function as above depending on application.

In my experience, rightly or wrongly, the terms tend to get used interchangeably. I would not want to make any assumptions about a particular valve just because it's called a safety valve versus a relief valve.

Reference to Coade Caesar II Forum of March 29, 2004 07:52 PM the following is From the AICHE web site....

Additional information:

Emergency Relief System Design Using DIERS Technology

OSHA (29 CFR 1910.119) has recognized AIChE/DIERS two-phase flow publications as examples of "good engineering practice" for process safety management of highly hazardous materials. The prediction of when two-phase flow venting will occur, and the applicability of various sizing methods for two-phase vapor-liquid flashing flow, is of particular interest when designing emergency relief systems to handle runaway reactions. This comprehensive sourcebook brings together a wealth of information on methods that can be used to safely size emergency relief systems for two-phase vapor-liquid flow for flashing or frozen, viscous or nonviscous fluids. Design methodologies are illustrated by selected sample problems. Written by industrial experts in the safety field, this book will be invaluable to those charged with operating, designing, or managing today's and tomorrow's chemical process industry facilities.

Special Details: Hardcover

Publish Date: 1992
Pages: 538pp
Price: $175.00
ISBN No: 0-8169-0568-1
Pub No: X-123

Leonard@thill.biz

I would have to say that I'm guilty of using the terms interchangeably but the definitions as given by Metengr are the same that I've always seen.

In the Jan-2000 edition of API RP-520 Part I, similar definitions are given. Also, as found in the following section
2.2.1.1.2 Spring-loaded pressure relief valves are referred to by a variety of terms, such as safety valves, relief valves and safety relief valves. These terms have been traditionally applied to valves for gas/vapor service, liquid service, or multi-service applications, respectively. The more generic term, pressure relief valve, is used in the text and is applicable to all three.

Recently, I happened to be looking at a copy of API RP-576, Inspection of Pressure-Relieving Devices, Dec-2000, and found they have a broader discussion about the different designs and actually list limitations to their use. Among the limitations listed: Safety valves should not be used in liquid service, Relief valves should not be used in vapor service.

Seems that it would have been more appropriate to include the API RP-576 discussions in API RP-520 but I guess it is fairly obvious, don't expect a valve designed for liquid service only to perform equally well in vapor service.

Anyway, the bottom line is you need to identify all requirements for your relief system design whether a case controls for relief area sizing or not. Then select the appropriate relief valve for all possible cases you identified. If you do have a situation that requires a relief valve to relieve a vapor for some cases or a liquid for others, be sure the valve you select has certified capacities for both vapor and liquid service or gives at least orifice area/nozzle discharge coefficient for both vapors and liquids.

As added info, Consolidated ( offers 2 separate catalogs. SRV-1 for Safety Relief Valves and SV-1 for Safety Valves.

A safety valve is a relief valve that has no cutoff between the process and the valve. It can't be isolated.

A relief valve is a valve that can have a cutoff between the process and the valve and can be isolated.

Bigbob1941,

In case of the block valve is car sealed open (CSO), can we say it is "safety valve"?

I still support the reply of metengr.

I just learned a safety valve is used mainly for gas and steam and is caracterised by a "pop" action. A relief valve is caracterised by a gradual lift proportional to thje increase in overpressure, mainly for liquid applications. However the vocabulary may have slightly different meanings depending if you are in North America or Europe.
For more info you can check the terminology chapter (chapter 3) at
You can also consult module 9 at

presso
[noevil]

The two terms are often confused, even in some ASME correspondence. Here is the difference:
Safety valves are for vapors such as steam and 'pop' open. As the vessel pressure approaches the safety valve set pressure it might start to weep slightly but when it goes, it pops open. When the vessel pressure drops a certain set pressure below the pop pressure, the safety valve closes. The pressure it starts to weep, pops and reseats is determined by the ASME code.

Relief valves are for liquid service like hot water. They open gradually and close gradually.

One of the consequences of how the two types of valves are made and the service they see is this. To lift a safety valve by hand, the pressure should be close to the pop pressure. The lever is lifted to cause the safety valve to pop open. The valve should be allowed to close on its own.

To lift a relief valve by hand, lift it slowly. Allow the fluid to flow and then slowly release the lever.

As always, care should be taken when testing safety and relief valves by hand. My advice is follow the valve manufacturer's recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back