Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the difference for the settlement pile and non settlement pile ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not entirely sure what your are asking, but I would suggest that a settlement pile is one that depends only on skin friction for load resistance and the non-settlement pile would be one that depends on end bearing onto a rock stratum.

A Great Place For Engineers to Help Engineers

Follow me there.....

I would expect that an end-bearing pile not bearing on rock would be a settlement pile.

End bearing on rock would be non-settlement.

If it entirely relied on skin friction -- I guess I'm not sure. My gut would be to call it non-settlement, but don't put too much confidence in that.

----
just call me Lo.

Most of them said the reinforced concrete pile is the settlement pile & bored pile will be non-settlement pile.

What is the difference for the both system?

Thanks.

I'm not understanding the terminology you're using, KAR FUNG. For a discussion of settlement (and for reasons of function and means of installation), I would generally classify piles as either driven or bored.

Driven piles, either steel or concrete (driven concrete piles are precast and most commonly prestressed. Once they are driven to refusal or to the required load capacity, they shouldn't settle.

Bored piles, also referred to as cast-in-place piles, augercast shafts, or drilled shafts, depending on the sequence of construction, typically do settle some when loaded, because the soil around the shaft must deform to mobilize the resistance.

Rod Smith, P.E.

I am not sure about the question either but similar to HotRod10 I guess that "settlement piles" are referred to driven piles (the OP is saying RC pile which I guess is a precast RC pile).

Or perhaps, the OP is referring to elastic compression of the pile during loading?...

Actually, I believe he is talking above before and after a divorce.

Settlement pile rely on settlement to realize the design load. Non settlement pile do not.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA, HI)

Okiryu said:
I am not sure about the question either but similar to HotRod10 I guess that "settlement piles" are referred to driven piles

That's the part that's confusing me - driven piles typically don't have settlement, while cast-in-place shafts do experience some settlement.

Rod Smith, P.E.

Could the confusion be between "settlement" and "displacement"? I could see where these could get crossed in translation. A displacement pile, such as a timber or concrete pile, displaces the soil as its driven. A non-displacement pile, such as an augercast shaft, removes the soil and then replaces it with concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back