Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the good 3D printer now? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersi

Automotive
Feb 3, 2011
HK
I know this question has been asking million times. Since this is a big investment for my company I need to get the most update information from your suggestion.

I'm looking for a 3D printer for prototyping. Our company use Solidworks and most of our products are made of aluminum and carbon plate. The biggest size of our product is about 12inch x 6 inch x 6 inch. What is your suggestion? Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Consider having your first few parts made outside, by a service company that just makes 3D prototype parts for a living. Better, by several such companies or several technologies. After that, you'll have a better idea what you want, and especially, what you don't want.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Each type of 3D printer has its advantages and disadvantages.

Zcorp can print color parts and multiple colors at the same time, but the parts are powder based and more fragile than others.

FDM is flexible provided you do not flex across the layers, can print only one color at a time. Surface finish is not that great but can be sanded if need be. Large parts can have a matrix weave on the inside instead of solid to same on material and build time.

Object can make soft or rigid parts but the machines that can do both with out swapping out materials are pretty expensive. The print time is fast.

Thanks so much for helping.

I need to make a rigid part. My real product is either steel or aluminum. So, the more rigid the better for my need. Single color is fine. The print time is not really matter. Accuracy 0.05mm is the best, I know this should be too much for my budget at that high accuracy. I can accept 0.1mm accuracy.

Any good brand to recommend me thanks

If you are looking to just mock something up the FDM should put you in the accuracy ball park provided your thickness matches up with the layers. I had a .5mm thick sheet metal part I had a laye a gap and then another layer when I took the part out of the machine and could not remove it from the tray without it breaking.

If you want metal there are companies who can make steel parts similar to SLA. There is one company in NH that I know of, Vaupell Rapid Solutions. They do other things in different states as well but their rapid prototyping stuff, SLA, SLS, FDM ect is done in NH.

I have to agree with rollupswx. The printer will depend on your needs. If it is presentation you are looking for then ZCorp is a good choice. But if you need functional parts like cases or fixturing the Dimensions are a good bet. We have one here (BST 768) that I won through our SW reseller. We love it and use it on a regular basis. FDM is a very flexible process in terms of what you are able to make from it.

If first you do succeed...try something harder.

Blair H.
SW 2009 sp3.0, HP x4600
3.16ghz Intel Core2 Duo,
3.0 GB ram,
Nvidia Quadro FX 1700
Space Pilot Pro...they ROCK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back