Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the morphology of polyamide around fiber glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willemsma

Chemical
Aug 21, 2006
US
I have a few questions about the morphology of polyamide around fiber glass. Especially PA-6 and PA-66.
-What is known about the morphology of PA-6 and PA-66 (thinking of crystalline and amorphous 'clusters' in the material, and what about the surface of the material?)
-What is known about the morphology of PA-6 and PA-66 in a composite with fiber glass?
-How is the morphology at the fiber glass-PA interface?
-If cristalline areas are present, is there a preferred orientation relative to the interface?
-What is the ratio amorphous/cristalline at the interface?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps it is a good question, but it should perhaps have been asked in another forum. If someone knows a good forum for me to ask this question, I'm happy to know which one.

Willemsma

You ask very specific questions that only a few people in the world would know the answer to. I've read that in general carbon and glass fibers are very good at nucleating crystal growth so that in most cases of processing the polymers reach their maximum state crystalinity. I don't know about orientation but I doubt it would approach the orientation achieved by stretching the polymer.

PA-6 is a semicrystalline structure. Crystalline structure will align itself around fiber. Note that the rate of cooling will determine amount of crystallanity. Be very care a highly orientated structure, especially PA-6 will have a good amount of volumetric shrinkage. This will giver porosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back