Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the relationship between Mach Number and Air Flow Noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Automotive
Jan 18, 2003
CA
What is the relationship between Mach Number and Air Flow Noise? What is the threshold of Mach that air flow noise is audible?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In what sort of system?

Typically in an exhaust manifold/downpipe you'll start to hear Mach noise at around 0.6-0.8 M bulk flow rate, as there is enough local acceleration to get you into trouble.

In an HVAC system you can hear flow noise at much slower speeds than that, .05M or less.

Cheers

Greg Locock

I rarely exceed 1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight

Thanks, Greg. I am talking about air intake system, and turbocharger intake noise. Would you expand a little more why different systems have various Mach noise? Frequency dependent?

Well to be honest that is far too big a subject to cover in a post. or even a book. Basically it comes down to how the noise is generated, and then how much is filtered out or amplified before anyone hears it.

Cheers

Greg Locock

So you are talking about noise created by turbulence around the compressor blades then, not regular "flow noise" (e.g. that you would get from an exhaust). This is not really connected to flow rate, more likely where on the compressor map you are operating. If you are near or over the stall line, expect whoosh noise.

- Steve

In that particular case, any turbulence upstream of the blades is amplified by the pressure change process, in a non linear fashion. So in general if noise is your concern, spend more time refining the intake duct than the exhaust duct around a bladed impeller.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back