Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is the thickness reduction to be consider for explosion bounding clad plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechengineer

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2001
SG
Hi experts,
What is the thickness reduction to be consider in design for explosion bounding clad plate and the base plate?
Thanks for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thickness reduction of what??

Any design usually ignores the thickness of the clad plate.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The base plate is of nominal thickness, there is still tolerance allowed.
And the clad is just thick enough to get the job done.
The clad doesn't count in the design so its only purpose is corrosion resistance.
0.030" vs 0.032" is not a relevant concern.
There is some dimension change in bonding, but the projects that I have been involved with the final thickness only changed by a few thousandths of an inch in 1.5" material.
I could imagine with very soft substrate or clad you could get more change, but with soft materials it is easier to roll clad them.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

In my HX experience, clad and backers are ordered as MIN or NOM. If cladding is not to be machined, as in a fixed tubesheet single pass exchanger, or pass plate welded to the tubesheet it usually is ordered as Nom thickness. If gasket surfaces are to be machined in the cladding it is usually ordered as Min thickness.

Same idea can apply to the substrate. The clad plate suppliers will know what allowances to apply, if any are required. So for example for 3/8" Min cladding the supplier usually would apply 1/2" plate.

Consulting with the supplier insures you order and get what you need.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

The vendor design is that 11+3 (min)after explosion bounding and 12+4 (nom)before explosion bounding.
I think that 1 mm of thickness reduction for both clad plate and base plate is very high.
1. The base plate. I think there is no need to consider the thickness reduction from the nominal thickness for the base plate of SA516Gr70 if it is still within the plate nominal thickness within the tolerance between -0.3 mm and +0.8 mm after the explosion bounding as per SA-20:"Plate material with an actual thickness less than the design thickness shall not be used unless the difference in thicknesses is less than the smaller of 0.01 in. (0.3 mm) or 6% of the design thickness".
2. What is the permissible thickness variation for the explosion bounding to be considered in design in general? This is the important data to check whether the actual thickness sufficient after explosion bounding.
It is 0.3 mm to 0.325 mm dependent on the plate thicknesses from the reference of Dimension Inspection Report.
Mill_cert_clad_explosion_bounding-1_hn1of5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back