Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the UG NX equivalent to ProE's simplified rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougkeuneke

Aerospace
Jan 19, 2006
US
I'm a ProE designer that has been asked to help out getting a UG NX6 project back on schedule. I'm doing a drawing of a very large assembly (8000 components +). The design is a weldment with a substantial amount of bolt on piece parts. Unfortunately, there are no sub assemblies. The majority of the views are of the basic weldment. I was told to just hide the components in each view, but I suspect there is a better way.....arrangements, layers or reference sets? Any help would be appreciated.

Doug Keuneke
Orion-KSC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Layers would certainly help you in this situation. When it was originally created was everything on diffirent layers or all the same layer?

Sam Slivinski
Using NX 6
Manufacturing/Aerospace

Oh man, that is rough. It may take a while but if you can seperate the components to diffirent layers then it will be easy to turn the layers off in the views that you need to without having to hide every individual component

Sam Slivinski
Using NX 6
Manufacturing/Aerospace

While layers are better utilized in NX than Pro/E, and moving sub-components to layers will help, the functionality of a simplified rep does not directly exsist. The closest you may come in NX is to use an envelope(?) part to show the external shape of a component or sub-assembly.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Sorry Sam.....the design is proprietary. I took your advise and separated the components on layers. The drawing is now manageable and I think I see light at the end of the tunnel. By the way, I picked this up after the original drawing became corrupted and unusable, nobody knows why it got corrupted but I suspect that the google of hidden components might have had something to do with it.

Thanks to all that replied.

Hi Doug,
NX has a wide variety of options to tackle large assembly drawings.For example (kindly refer to the drawing attached)you can hide /simplify small objects (nuts/bolts/rivets etc) from the drawing view using VIEW STYLE. This may help you in faster update of your drawing views and will make it less cluttered.
Also you can keep automatic update of drawing views off by keeping DELAY VIEW UPDATE in the VIEW tab (Darfting Preferences) on. (you can do the update in the last or at some intervals manually) ....that said you can refer to the NX documentation (handling of large assembly drawings is a seperate topic and discussed quite in detail).You may find it good.
All the best.
Best Regards
Kapil Sharma

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d6a44558-a518-4d7a-843b-d4fb2ce0f8c8&file=drwaing_style.jpg
I find that Groups work better than Layers in some cases, they can save time in having to dig thru the layers to find stuff. Just toggle the group on, and everything in that group is shown, the layer they are on dosn't even need to be turned on. Just remember Groups are added onto the Work Layer when they are created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back