Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the volume of a human? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintJulep

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
JP
Does anyone have access to a credible data source that lists the volume occupied by a 50th percentile human body?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fill your tub up - submerse yourself and yell "Eureka". Clean up the mess and measure the water.

I beleive it was Archimedes that figured that out about 2,000 years ago or so.

Since we are something like 96% water - at 175 lbs / 62.4 lbs water / cubic foot.... Something around 3 cubic feet??

Seems a bit low as I look at myself....

How exact do you need to be? Are you talking actual volume taken by the body itself? I would think that would be very easy to calculate, given that the SG of the body is very nearly 1 depending on the state of the lungs. 50th percentile weight should be readily available from many sources.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

You better factor in food and alcoholic consumption, if applicable, before using the trusted equation below

volume = mass (50th percentile person) /density (water)

If everyone is willing to go home tonight, submit themselves to Mike's experiment and report back in the morning that would be sufficient.

My quick tape-measure approximation of myself, approximating torso, arms and legs as cylinders yields 2.3 cubic feet.

I am sure that the Army has subjected numerous soldiers to a dunking, and the data is published - I don't have access to any human factors info at the moment.

In the pool I can sit on the bottom with lungs deflated. Or I can just about float with lungs inflated. So I reckon I have the same density as water on average. Volume = mass/density.

50th percentile human mass is much harder to get information about. It's probably very location-dependent.

- Steve

Mint I have to ask the obvious question. Why in the world are you wanting this information? Are you disposing of bodies, again?

Luck is a difficult thing to verify and therefore should be tested often. - Me

Civliperson,

I was not interested in their respiratory rates. I wanted to know what I stated - how much air does a human body displace.

Well, I think my volume varies greatly from a Sunday afternoon (after a good weekend of praying to Baco *<|:)) to a Thursday (after paying my respects to the gym for a week :-().

Now, I do think that the average volume varies a lot depending on your geographical region, and very gender specific. Where is you 'research' focused at? I have taken a newfie to Japan and trust me, the volume difference is far from similar (more like a two to one)

Now, Civilperson got me thinking…. If I am floating on my back and pass gas, do I get propelled or just sink….? Gotta try it.

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back