Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is this thing on a deaerator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmet

Materials
Jul 18, 2005
CA
I was on a job site last week where we got convinced to supply a deaerator, which is not normally part of our scope. So, I have very little knowledge of deaerators and their valve requirements and such.

Anyway, the company in charge of doing all the piping has installed this thing (see attached) on our DA and I have no idea what it is. Can someone tell me what it is and what its purpose is?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It could be a retractable corrosion probe - stab in a corrosion coupon, then retract it say a year later on the run to check corrosion rate.

jt

There is a P&ID, but I don't see it on the P&ID. I'm going to ask the guy who did the piping if I see him on site again.

Both the first two options seem pausible.

It's a "hot tap" used for sensors of various types, allows removal from the tank without draining level. However, from looking at the picture, sure don't think it was suppossed to be welded at those points.

the last item on the line going into the valve on the end nearest the picture taker looks like a check valve, so I'd support the chemical injection point.

Definitely not a hot tap by any definition of hot tap that I've ever used. Though I have seen hot taps on vessels before, this just doesn't look like one nor does the description in the OP give any indication that it was installed on the run.

jt

Thanks for the input everyone. This is not installed on the run. It is on the lower half of the tank. It ends above a walkway. If you were 7 feet tall you'd have to duck under it.

Mulholland, those welds made me wonder too. It's hard to tell in the pic I attached, but those are actually threaded rods.

I would say a thermocouple or sampling type probe - going into the tank through the (fully opened) gate valve close to the tank wall.

The welds definitely look "home-made" or "after market" and are suspicious.

Haven't seen chemical devices like that - but won't reject that identity. No manual? Parts list? Instructions?

If I had a dollar for every boiler house I had ever been in I would be wealthy. I have never seen an animal like this.

rmw

Well, I'll be back on site in two weeks. Looks like I'll just find someone and ask.

I'm going to say it's not a thermocouple. I have seen a lot of thermocouple on our equipment, and others, and not one like this. Granted, I've been wrong many many times before.

I think it is for chemical dosage. It seems a bit too low for the thermocouple probe.

Is it a cascade type deaerator? If not I would not recommend using it and dose the chemicals before (the alkalizing agent) and after (oxygen scavenger, volatile chemicals) the dearator for several reasons. For a cascade type it might be usefull for dosing the oxygen scavenger, but on the other hand it is almost useless to use an oxygen scavenger in combination with a cascade dearator.

Edwin Muller
KWR Industrial Water

Gents,

Having worked for RCS for 17 years, this is definitely not a corrosion coupon "retractable" holder. Looking at the end, it appears this might be a check valve. If it is, this is for injection purposes. If you look into the end and see pins for an electrical connection, then this is a corrosion probe, though not likely. Usually, chemical injection quills have valves at the end to shut off the system and isolate it while not being used. This was inserted and fixed so it is not retractable, but adjustable is more like it.

My guess is injection device.

I'm almost certain that this is a retractable chemical injection quill with a homemade system to allow slow retraction/probe injection depth through the use of the two threaded rods, the added plate and the nuts you can see in the picture.

Just above the valve, it looks like that's a corporation stop that is essentially a compression gland. You'd attach a safety chain and loosen the stop, and internal pressure would back the quill out to the limits of the chain. At this point, the quill is no longer passing through the bore of the valve, and you can close the valve and isolate the system. Then, you'd have some sort of way to bleed internal pressure in the quill, and you could remove the safety chains and release the corporation stop and remove the quill.

Here's a pdf of the type of device I'm thinking of. See if it jives with what you've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back