Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is this thing on a deaerator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmet

Materials
Jul 18, 2005
CA
I was on a job site last week where we got convinced to supply a deaerator, which is not normally part of our scope. So, I have very little knowledge of deaerators and their valve requirements and such.

Anyway, the company in charge of doing all the piping has installed this thing (see attached) on our DA and I have no idea what it is. Can someone tell me what it is and what its purpose is?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is a chemical injection quill. The threaded rods prevent the quill from being ejected when it is removed so that the quill can be changed on-line while there is still internal pressure. This type of design is common, although I have usually seen it used with a full-port ball valve to allow the quill to be fully inserted into the process.

My vote is for a chemical quill for injecting treatment chemicals to "polish" deaereated water. The compression coupling can be loosened and the quill pulled back behind the isolation valve, then the valve shut. This gives you the ability to replace the quill or clean the holes that get residue build up without opening the DA. Can be dangerous. Appears that it must be done cold, zero pressure, if possible. The DA gets most or all of the job done removing oxygen and non condensibles, but a small dose of scavenger or other treatment may be needed to finish treating water. Treatment depends on water quality, system, etc.

Hope this helps.

Well everyone, thanks for your suggestions.

I found out today that it is a chemical injection port.

Many of you got it right. Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back