Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What kind of engineer am I?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrHoneydew

Industrial
Jan 26, 2007
US
Hi all,

I have a strange engineering degree and an even more strange set of professional experiences. I am finally in the process of finding a 'real job,' and am having trouble convincing people that I am worth their while and trouble finding where I fit in.

- I have Bachelor of Arts in Engineering; engineering fundamentals, with a breadth of other coursework like policy, economics, project management, etc.
- I have experience with a civil engineering company
- I have learned electronics in the past few years; have developed hardware, firmware, software, and have had experience in a wide range of 'product' development
- I work really well with people and am exceedingly good at educating non-technical folks about technical stuff I've been working on, and love doing that.

What kind of engineer can I be? How do I market myself to employers?

Can I be an Applications Engineer? Client Engagement Engineer? Would someone hire me to be a hardware engineer without a BS in Electrical Engineering?

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
DHD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would only do application engineering if that was the last possible job...

SolidWOrks, Pro/E, Inventor, Catia...Etc are similar for basic uses and are used for product development. I have used Pro/E, Inventor, and Catia for 3D and you can cross training pritty easily. Everyone has their personal favorite.

The only thing with learning drafting stuff is that you can getting grouped in the Drafter/Designer category. Although hopefully a good boss with know the difference and make a separation between drafter/designer and Design Engineer. I could rant on about the dynamics of this relationship, since i an in a cubical with two drafters and 4 design engineers, but i will spire you.

As noted in some of the other posts, you dont seem to be from the US or CAN, however, would you have the equivalent of an Professional Engineering Exam you could take so give you that extra star on your resume?

Where are you looking for jobs that your having such a hard time with your resume? Sadly Location and Demand are everything.

Official DIPPED Member -
Drank in PP Every Day

thanks,

got confused by all the talk of BA's at English Uni's

that being settled...

Can you take your FE?

Official DIPPED Member -
Drank in PP Every Day

If it's engineering, then systems engineering may be where you need to set your sights. It encompasses the lower disciplines, such as hardware and software, and takes the top-level view of a product (or system).

I wouldn't have thought engineering management was a likely first port of call (except, perhaps, on the civil engineering side) without some 'producing' experience (say, a couple of years) - if you've got management potential then most half-way decent employers should recognize that and come up with a 'development' program that heads in that direction.

Project Management is another option. Some companies will insist that PMs come from a discipline background, whereas others tend to regard it a different specialization and prefer people with a business background who are capable of getting to grips with the issues (or at least get to know who the techies to trust are).

I also wouldn't worry too much about what your degree is called. The major point is to work out your strengths and sell them. For example, my degree is in Astrophysics; not an obvious choice for an engineer maybe, but when I went through what I'd learned (computing, electronics, mechanical engineering, RF, optics, thermodynamics, solid-state theory, maths, etc) and how it could apply to both present and future engineering work, I didn't have any problems getting job offers. Attitude, particularly flexibility of thought, is a key factor.

To Hokie: Yes, I went to Lafayette. You didn't go there, did you? Is your first name Matt?

To Gymmeh: I actually had never realized you could just go ahead and take the FE. I thought you had to already sort of be apprenticing with a firm. I believe I am qualified to take it, now that I've looked at the info. Seems like a good idea no matter what route I take.

As for the Solidworks / Pro/E thing... I do feel a bit like I might be pigeon-holed if I tried that path. I've looked at some demos and both programs seem very cool, but I think I would get bored with that kind of work after only a year or two. At that point, I might not be in a position to move up. That being said, maybe it is a good idea to pursue the management track directly. I am thinking I want to be involved with product design on a macro-level, and managers definitely are on that level, so why not try that? It has seemed to me in the past, though, that typically I would need some 'corporate' experience before moving into a management position.

There are Engineering Management programs at the local University. Any opinions on something like that?

To excognito: I think you might have it right with the Systems Engineering approach. I can still be more of a generalist, but get some hands-on experience, as well. Then, I would be poised for a move into managing.

Wow. I never thought I would get some many responses.
Thanks to everyone.

DHD

DrHoneydew, have you thought of trying to get into product testing / commissioning? You'd need some technical knowledge, an eye for detail, a good understanding of requirements and be able to communicate the results to a variety of levels.

Could also link into the systems engineering that someone suggested earlier. Have a look at INCOSE as they are starting to generate the basis for professional standing in systems engeineering.

Cheers, HM

No more things should be presumed to exist than are absolutely necessary - William of Occam

you take the FE right out of College then you take the PE after number of years.

Depending on the company if you are in engineering you can be placed in management positions, for example commissioning.
But instead of managing office staff you would be managing, welders/techs/machinists/etc.

Not sure about the engineering management classes... I have never had a boss that did that,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back