What kind of lifting system to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejan95

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2020
SI
Hello everybody.

I would need your help, because I need some ideas on what type of lifting unit to use, to lift the motor fixture (yellow part on the picture bellow).
Motor fixture needs to be set on different heights (about 8 of different positions) for different motor heights. The difference in height of the largest and smallest motor is about 80 mm.
1_nn6zds.png

In the first design we used a cylinder and guides (as shown bellow). But because we will use a new system we don't have space for a cylinder. Also it would be best if the lifting can be done manual (without pneumatics or el.)
2_zuhxbn.png

My solution is:
3_yx8jk1.png

But i'm not to happy with this solution. Does anybody knows any simpler systems or solutions. Maybe also electrical lifting would be ok, but if possible, manual is best.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you not just have a central shaft and set of collars machine or set to match your different heights?

Or set of 40, 20,10,5 mm collars?

Maybe I haven't understood the forces on this yellow thing - are they just vertical?
Does it sit on that red shaft and screw into it?

It might need a few more simplified sketches to understand this....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for your answer. You understood correctly. Forces are just vertical. In the previous version, it just sat on the red shaft yes. But now there is no need for a red shaft if we found a different solution.

We could use different adaptors (collars as you said) but then this adapters will have to be changed when there is a different motor assembled. I would maybe like a solution that is easier and quicker for the operator.

your initial sketch shows a scissor lift. Is this one design approach being considered ?

how heavy are these motors ?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

No, the scissor lift will lift the entire unit, but I need to additionally lift only the yellow fixture in the middle (which carries the motor). Motor is about 2 kg heavy.

Fair enough but lifting off the yellow thing and inserting collars looks pretty simple to me. I suppose it depends on how many different collars you need.

A jack screw of some type would seem to be the simplest and easiest though.

How many different motors and positions do you have? Or how accurate do you need to be?

Would a ratchet provide enough variation? say one click every 5mm?

how long do you have to hold the 2kg.

I think the center pedstal and various spacers is as simple as you can get.

How many times per day ? Is saving a second per operation worth anything to you ?

For now there is about 8 different motor heights, but this might change as additional models arrive. The change will happen let's say 1-2 times a shift.

Request is not to use different adaptors (collars) so I would like to find a different solution.

I'm looking at possibility to use a small scissor lift system maybe (as it is used on the robot, just manual).

Could younattach a hub to the base and a large screw and just turn it round to move it up or down?

Some sort of clamp system like a parasol?

If the location needs to be accurate and precise, I would go with a set of match ground spacers.
Any other system will require an indicator to show where to put it.
And then you are limited by how well that can be read. And by who is doing it.
And do you need a record for QA purposes? Now it needs to be electrical.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

how about a "simple" lifter (like a scissor lift) with preset heights. Manually adjustment ... I'm thinking of something like a snowblower gear selector (if you've ever seen one of them).

Thank you all for your input!

I think I will try to use hand crank screw jack as suggested. But first I need to check it in my models and do some calculations.

Again, thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back