Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What limits video resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis74

Automotive
Sep 28, 2007
US
I am not an electronics person by any means, I'm an automotive engineer, but I wondered what is the current limit of video resolution and why? Is it the physical size of the pixel that limits us? Are there any emerging technologies that might make it much finer in the near future? I have an idea for a small video display with a very high resolution and wondered if its something I should pursue. If you folks could maybe enlighten me I would appreciate it since I'm (obviously) a little behind on these things.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, it's your guy.

Just look at any icon on your desktop; they're all better rendered than your check mark. Just blow it up to 900%; you can see that there are no gray shades on the outline. In fact, it looks grainier than the text visible in your clip. His bad...

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Sorry, I missed the part about the compose pane Nonetheless, the check mark here is NOT intended to be that pretty.

Moreover, you're looking at a monitor with WAY more contrast than you'd find in your car. During the day, the constrast will be poor due to ambient light. During the night, the backlight will be too bright for night driving, so it'll need to be turned down to maintain night vision. Furthermore, a car is hardly a stable platform. I doubt very much that even the check mark would look even remotely pixelated in a car, particularly at the viewing distance between the driver and the dashboard.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Uhhhh, Sony makes the PlayStation... Microsoft makes the XBox. I get the impression your "graphics guy" is yanking your chain. If he cannot provide you with graphics better than that check mark, he's clueless.

There is zero aliasing for that check mark, which is everything for smooth graphics. If that is what was handed to me, I would send the "graphics" guy packing as that kind of work would prove to me he has zero idea about what graphics processing is all about. I'll say it again, if done properly, moving graphics can look almost photographic.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Hi, thought I'ld throw in my two cents. What u want here is antialiasing. What everyone said is essentially correct, packing in more pixels is not the economically feasible way to go, even though it is the "pure engineering" solution. Antialiasing is a smoothing technique that takes into consideration the human visual system to make things look sharper than they really are. This works because u don't see things the way they really are. Ur eye is actually a powerful image preprocessor. Find a good graphics library with good AA algorithms and it'll look fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back