Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What makes an employee invaluable? 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

structineer

Structural
Jan 2, 2012
US
This is a question for those that either run their own business or manage employees. What are your opinions of what makes an employee invaluable? I'm looking for a little more than the typical cliches.

Thank you for your input!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sleep with the boss? Why, so the company can get me coming and going?

(sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to spell the word the way I wanted to... this isn't the Pub ;-))

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

All jokes aside, there was a case in my town, Wollongong 2500 Australia where a female town planner was accused of corruption because she was approving inappropriate developments if the developers slept with her.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

lisa247 I know you were just joking and I think most if not all of us realize that. But you definitely made a lot of us take notice!

A long time ago I worked for a female boss, and she was both highly competent and invariably professional. But if she had offered I confess I would have been sorely tempted. But not for the purpose of moving up in the organization...she was simply stunningly lovely.

I thought you were serious. But then again, I have no sense of humour. Had me going for a minute.

Thank goodness you were only fooling around.

Regards,

SNORGY.

I have to agree with many here; invaluable employees are usually marked (by HR or whomever) as a risk. To become indespensible can not be allowed, understandably.
The most secure "invaluable" employee that I can think of would be an in-law of some sort to top management.

Technically, the glass is always full.

I'm still scratching my head about answers that roll invaluable and indispensable into one thing. My understanding of the two words has two distinctly different meanings.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

EWH
As an employer I used to think " That guy is great, but what am I going to do if he quits?".
It has happened, my top guy got a better offer from a competitor that I was unwilling to match.

So then I am more careful in how I train people, because if I show them too much they will leave.

You can see how self defeating this is, you end up with a bunch of guys/gals you have to nursemaid who do not expand and grow.
At which time they are all dispensible.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back