Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What makes you most satisfied at your job? 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerDave

Bioengineer
Aug 22, 2002
US
Now that I created a thread about frustrations, I think it would be too pessismistic to not create the opposite thread.

My satisfaction with this current job is that I have a sense of accomplishment every day. I work in an environment in which I can complete some projects every day. I feel a greater sense of accomplishment in this then when I worked on much longer term projects in which sometimes I felt like very little progress was made on certain days.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) Driving a car with 'my' systems in it, for the first time.

2) Getting innovations into the design, being trusted to have made the right call.

3) Working with teams that I know well and respect on interesting projects

4) Learning new things

I'm still learning my new job, there are days when all I do is fight the computer. So I certainly don't make progress every day, unless you count eliminating negatives.

Cheers

Greg Locock

I know a lot of people in all different fields who work because they have to. I work because I enjoy it! Besides my everyday job, the one that I was hired for, I gave myself another task: make people on the shop floor and others around me happier. Since my job success depends on the shop floor mechanics, I make sure to pass by and see how they are on a daily basis and encourage them. It takes only 5-10 minutes of my time and it makes someone happy. There are a lot of engineers around me who don't care about the mechanics and the operators, who barely hay HI when they see them, who feel superior... Being friendlier has improved my relationship with the mechanics, who in return enjoy doing good work for me, and in return my projects are finished well before the deadline and everybody is happy.
[thumbsup]

I commute to and from work 2 hours every day. Why I do it? I love the kind of projects we are doing. We are MEP consultants working on buildings like MoMA, Getty LA, Guggenheim, Rose Space Center, RISD, Columbia School of Social Sciences, Ackland Museum in UNC, and others. Our clients are Pritzker prize winning architects, such as Polshek and Cesar Pelli.
(Well, I also commute because i wouldn't want to live anywhere but New York City!)

I get a lot of satisfaction when I go on the shop floor and talk to the production people, seeing their family pictures in their tool boxes etc. Because I know that my performance in my job keeps their job for them and their families.

What I do on a daily basis helps to provide a great lifestyle for the mechanics and operators [and their families] on the floor.

I also get a lot of satisfaction doing special projects that meet concerns/requests of the shop personel. When I design tooling or machines that makes them more productive [and happier] we all benefit.

Great thread, thanks.

Keeping up with EngineerDave's simultaneous threads, I'd like to add my favourite experience.

I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to design, build, and test fly wingtip-mounted instrument pods on a twin engined aircraft. I took on the project thinking that it wouldn't go anywhere, but everything came together, and I got to do EVERYTHING. Wrapping up the flight tests 5 months later was one of the most satisfying days of my career.

The past year has been slow, business-wise, and some potentially exciting projects have repeatedly been abandoned. I despair of having the fun that I did a few years ago.

STF

I love my job... for the most part...

Where else in the world can you actually get paid to do stuff you like to do!!!

Mathcad and most of MATLAB free to use...

Standing 25 ft from F-14's and F/A-18's taking off and landing...awesome!!! Hearing the growl of an S-3 as it lands. Seeing all of this in the IR, even cooler ;-)...

Seeing the V-22 in the infrared during landing manuevers...

Riding a chain-gun armed patrol boat doing 40 kts...

Flying in the front seat of a AH-1S, testing a system...

Being atop the Russell Tower at Redstone Arsenal watching tanks in the infrared driving around in total darkness.

Beats the heck out of being a theme park cruise boat driver ;-)

TTFN

I would have to say that the most satisfying thing to me in my job, is when the customer, internal or ex, contacts me and tells me that my design solved the problem they needed, and thanks me for my help. This usually leads to a greater level of communication between the two ends and that helps everyone.

Alan M. Etzkorn [machinegun] [elk]
Product Engineer
Nixon Tool Co.

Hello,

As some of you state, helping others with their problems, and of course solving your own problems. Working with a great bunch of people, knowing your products are benefiting people all over the world.

Realising something you have been working on has given the company a lot of sales/money thus helping everyone at the company.

Yes, there are things that could be better, but on the whole it is great, and if you don't like your job, try hard and get a different job!

And of course helping people on the forum.

BEING PAID! knowing that you have earnt it.

----------------------------------
Hope this helps.
----------------------------------

maybe only a drafter
but the best user at this company!

I don't know about you guys, but reading this thread has pumped me up. Getting to see some of the exciting things some of our fellow engineers have done is a sure way to get excited about work again, and a little jealous...

I enjoy the variety of work that I am able to get involved with. General product support, Cost reduction projects, New product introductions and occasional design work. What seems best to me though is to get thanked by the people on the line for solving a problem that they had.

Regards,

The joy of shreading 78 + page Quality Mnauals for the new 8 page variety.

The culture change from procedure disciplined/assumption based manufacturing to process oriented/metric driven.

The awe in an employees eyes when I replace a five page work instruction with a single page visual with digital pictures.

The efective use of process flow charts and statistics in the workplace.

The seldom times I witness a design engineer actually design for manufacturability.

Finally that I have only a ten minute drive to work.

Some of the things that make me satisfied at my job:

a) Being able to see the things that I design actually get built.

b) Being able to have the things that I design get built correctly.

c) Doing projects where quality is a top goal.

c) Being able to work with people who care about a, b & c. I've had to work with too many bosses, clients, contractors, etc who only care about profit and not the long term impact of designs that are wrong or right designs that are built improperly. Its nice to occasionally deal with people who have quality on their mind.

Things I enjoy:

[ol][li]Getting to work with some very sharp people;[/li]
[li]Seeing the "light go on" when I explain an issue to management;[/li]
[li]Satisfaction in working through a calculation and getting an answer I can support;[/li]
[li]Oh yeah...pretty good benefits and pay[/li][/ol]

I have three "life maxims" that I quote whenever I get too upset with office politics:

[ol][li]Any day above ground is a good one.[/li]
[li]It's always better to be employed then unemployed.[/li]
[li]There are a lot of people working a lot harder for a lot less money![/li][/ol]

It's all in the attitude...even though I'm the office cynic, I'm also an optimist (if that isn't a contradiction in terms!)[spin]

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Not a contradiction, just irrational.

If things never change (the cynic part), but you expect improvement (the optimist part), then you're clearly irrational ;-)

TTFN

Ever driven down a road and over a bridge and known how far down the piles shiver because you passed over?
Ever passed by a building or park full of people and known that you input provides their saftey?
How often have you known the whole true answer to a politicians "glossing over"?
This is what makes my day. On my way to work I drive over a bridge that I was part of the team designing the foundation. I know how far down the skin friction is in play. I drive past a wetland that is fluorishing in spite of humans.( because of intentional design) I know that my county commisioner is not telling all of the truth when he says removing 6 million gallons of water per month from beneath my house will not affect me. He says this from his office which I was part of the team to design the foundation that will be there long after I am gone. The concept of doing something that will outlast me. That's good.

The truth will set you free. Best of luck. Geodude

I agree fully with EddyC, TJWATKINSSPG, and jmw.

But the most satisfying part of my work day is the look in my 21 month old son's eyes when I get home...

Sure beats analysis/design...exponentially.

I guess I'm off topic, sorry.

tg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back