Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What makes you most satisfied at your job? 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerDave

Bioengineer
Aug 22, 2002
US
Now that I created a thread about frustrations, I think it would be too pessismistic to not create the opposite thread.

My satisfaction with this current job is that I have a sense of accomplishment every day. I work in an environment in which I can complete some projects every day. I feel a greater sense of accomplishment in this then when I worked on much longer term projects in which sometimes I felt like very little progress was made on certain days.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi all,

Love leaving the office and walking through the production plant, among pipes, tanks, pumps, process equipment, hearing the hums and whines of the process, feeling the vibration of the centrifuges, smelling and even sometimes tasting the product at its various stages.

Yes, I can definately say that I feel the most comfertable and happy in the production plant amongst all the equipemnt...that, and sitting in the loo reading magazines! :))

Working in a production plant has also given me an idea of just how important our work as engineers are in relation to the safety of workers and contractors. After witnessing 2 explosions and one almost fatal fall from 24 meters onto concrete after hitting steel pipes on the way down, you quickly learn that our job is no joke. The smallest mistake in judgement could easily mean a fatality.

On Mar 1, 2004, I posted on the Mechanical Engineers Other Topics forum, in a thread entitled "forklifts" something or the other, and referred the readers to a website that specializes in showing transportation disasters. I noticed that my post killed the thread, but I did it for a reason. This is an engineers fourm, and as Stormxtc has pointed out, what we do as engineers matters to peoples lives.

While some of the disasters shown were caused by acts of nature, many, and I mean all too many, were caused by human error, or lack of planning or design. We can't design all our processes to be "idiot proof" because "bubba" works at all our facilities, but when we miss the mark, people can die, or be hurt. Just look at some of the results on this site. Many involved what engineers are involved in. Our mistakes can kill. That is why fora like these are beneficial. They make us better engineers.

rmw

I'll just add to Patricia's list as the things I enjoy at work:

1. Having colleagus and superiors approaching me with problems expecting a solution/reply/justification and my coming up with the same.
2. Being able to foresee some problem and the solution for some part being fabricated in some far off continent without seeing the product or the process.
3. Working with Welding engineers/QA Managers all over the globe.
4. Replying to posts/queries on this site and getting stars ;-)
But the most satisfying instances at my various jobs(Not necessarily in the same order):
1. When I was in a technical marketing post, one of my key customers refused to meet me, because he thought I was a guy who was trying to sell him something. He granted me a meeting for 5 minutes which later turned out to be a meeting for three hours when he realised I was cappable of providing solutions and not just selling my products. Incidentally his organisation became our key customer.
2. When a customer who had been known to be against the Co I worked for and the products we sold, but shifted back to our products when I could explain how even with buying consumables from us at a higher price, the overall cost of the finished product was lower and how we proved this to him.
3. When the experts in welding from TWI during a training program said in the presence of a large audience that I was one of the better engineers in the profession based on the discussions I had with them (I know, I am sounding otherwise, but I am trying to be modest as well ;-) )

Finally, I never thought that a thread like this/my post could make me feel so much more positive. Thanx Dave.

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R
Ph: 0097143968906
Mob: 00971507682668
email: sayee_prasad@yahoo.com
If it moves, train it...if it doesn't move, calibrate it...if it isn't written down, it never happened!

Working with jet engines is the best work for mechanical and aero engineers. Other types enjoy it, too. It draws on all the engineering specialties: aero cycle anal, stage blade flow anal, heat transfer, stress anal, thermal anal, structure anal, controls, fluid flow, propulsive/fuel efficiencies, computer anal programs, etc.

I frequently visited the test cells. They would cycle the throttle, and the afterburner would produce a long blue flame. The cycling produced interesting moves in the variable stators.

Then there were the flybys of jet planes over the plant and the static display at the airport.

It is satisfying to know that the new generation jet engines still use details that I developed many years ago.

Plasgears, don't you find "anal" an unfortunate abreviation?
I assume you mean analysis in this case.

I caused considerable amusement when i used it (as an abreviation of analogue) during a presentation to an international selection of engineers. I have been careful not to abreviate unnecessarily ever since.

[blush]

what makes me satisfied?
creating some design automation tools that blew everyone away who saw them. When the 2nd in command of a 10 billion dollar business, says "I want this technology in all my companies NOW" - you know you are changing things for the better
Not just looking forward to the future but helping to create it.
Being introduced to potential customers as "the design brains of the operation" even made me blush! although not where I work now, I am working on it....
And now designing the biggest gearboxes in the world

I think the best part of my job is when the company uses my work as an example in the ad campaign for the car. And reading the first reviews of the car and they rave about the handling. Usually, I am pretty unsure or feel I could get the car handling better, but when others drive it and say it is one of the best cars in its class, it makes me feel like a did a great job. I guess I should not get down on myself so much over getting it perfect all the time, and trust my own judgement. I think anyone in the auto industry will say the same thing over and over...."If we only had about 2-3months more of development time I ould have made it better. I guess that it was minor model change is for 2 years down the road.

What satisfies me is:

- Working on my own without being micro-managed by unqualified and vindictive personalities;

- Being able to see thru problems quickly and helping clients solve problems beyond their expectations;

- Creating new designs that are highly appreciated by my clients;

- Being invited to come back to celebrate completion of the construction. One client wants to introduce me to his friends and associates at a social event. Word of mouth is the best advertising. And you can set your own price, too.

What do I enjoy about my job? Despite my post on my frustrations there are a few things here that are satisfying.
1. The people I work with. We have our inner struggles but who doesn't?
2. Seeing the aircraft and ground support veichles that use the wiring harnesses that we've built for them
3. Watching our new company sales presentation and seeing pictures of one of my projects in it.
4. When hot projects come out that have tight deadlines, being chosen to help with meeting those deadlines.
5. This last one is pessismistic but I found it amusing. Had a recruiter call me and said, "Hmm you've been there for 2 years....you've paid your dues to that company, time to get you in someplace better."

Renee,
I do flight instruction on the side, and my best student was a married lady about 40. She really became enthusiastic about flying, bought one, and travelled the country. When she got her license, I was there. I pinned on a pair of wings to her flight jacket in recognition of her accomplishment. She asked "Is it all right to hug the instructor?" I said sure.

She went on to join the 99's, a group of lady pilots, young and old. At her son's wedding she introduced me to a table of old ladies. They were 99's, and what conversations we had. Many were WASPs from WWII, and they were featured on a recent PBS special.

You need to be in the presence of positive men and women who appreciate you for your accomplishments, and are willing to sponsor your endeavors.

I have to agree with rmw on his post about saving peoples lives. My greatest achievment was designing a left hand entrance door on the school buses for New York -- This way the children didn't have to cross the busy one streets to get to the school bus -- the bus had to get in the correct lane. This saved lives.... each thing you touch could represent a problem for people, so care should be taken and saftey should never come second.
I do love my job....

wonderful post....

rstone

The following aspects of my professional life makes me fully satisfied.

1. I share my knowledge and success stories with my younger colleagues to improve their confidence level.

2. I share my failures due to my bad judgements too to make them learn from my experience.

3. I help them from the background to tide over their technical problems and project the success more to their efforts than my help.

4. I feel happy on the genuine growth and development of people working with me.

5. I remain prepared to learn new things from anyone who is better than me irrespective of his/her age and experience.

6.Finally, I try to derive happiness and satisfaction from my competence and technical performance but learn to remain humble enough not to disrespect anyone for one's lesser degree of knowledge.

For myself (a young engineer in a newish position), number one is and will always be learning new things.

A close second is designing and building a product and then seeing it in use by our armed forces in the war against terror. One of my greatest moments was talking with a soldier who had just returned from Iraq and having him thank me for the product (as I was furiously writing down his comments for future revisions).

Having a small part in the safety of my children, and the rest of us for that matter, makes work a joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back