Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what mat'l for oiled foam air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblerman

Automotive
Nov 2, 2005
US
I'm working on two projects (a bike and a car) for which I want to build my own oiled foam filter elements. However, I can't find any specific information on appropriate foam density or if there is a specific quality of foam most appropriate to use for air filtering.
Obviously, my concern is walking that line between too much restriction and not sufficient filtering, especially since I live in the dusty part of the country (sw Kansas).
The restriction component is important, since I would hate to negate or mask the positive effects of performance modifications by choking the engines.
Anybody have a source for infomation on this, so I don't have to do my own testing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, here's what I've found so far. Uni Filter sells bulk filter material
but they don't seem to offer guidelines about (area of foam)/(cfm) or any real definitive information about their foam.
Yes, I know I'm looking for open cell polyurethane foam, but all the foam I can find that meets that description is sold for cushioning, so they describe their product as "soft", "medium", and "firm." Since I've started looking for information I came across a neat technical paper about this
which gives me good technical data from which I can extrapolate appropriate filter requirements for my projects, but it does little to help me define what the specs are on the foam being sold at the local craft store, or where to find foam that would be specs-defined. I'll keep looking.

Three reasons:
#1. Oiled foam is superior in flow characteristics to cellulose (paper) as soon as the paper element gets even the slightest use. Oiled foam is equal to oiled cotton gauze in flow characteristics, and is far superior in dust apprehension.
#2. Both projects (car and motorcycle) will have been modified extensively when I'm done with them. The place for an off-the-shelf filter element will not be there.
#3. Because after I have fabricated parts and scrounged parts, both in an attempt to go beyond "good enough" and reach a point where I can say that I have the most suitable part for each function, it just doesn't seem right to slap on a "good enough" air filter.
Call me a fanatic. Call me a perfectionist. But these two projects are therapy, not work. In both cases they will be the best I can make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back