Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What operations ACTUALLY REQUIRE work instructions?! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuburnIE

Industrial
Jan 3, 2005
US
We have implemented a detailed product development process that requires work instructions for practically every operation/assembly. However, I need to know what manufacturing operations actually REQUIRE work instructions realistically. For example, in my opinion, most simple assembly processes would not require work instructions because it would be simply 1)Get part. 2)Attach part (paraphrasing...). So, I am finding that this stage in the process is more redundant than being helpful to the operators on the manufacturing floor. It also creates a lot of excess paper work that has to be tracked and maintained. I am looking to define what needs to have a work instruction so I can make it standard in the department. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My old employer had an a series of processes that had too manny to count configurations for the same product. Customer X wanted 30 of Widget Y using configuration A. Customer Y wanted 30 of Widget Y using configuration B.
Customer Z wanted 80 of Widget X using configuration A and 20 of Widget Z using configuration B. etc...

Work instruction usually are pretty useful if you have a 1000 different configurations for 1000 products, they are kinda useful.

If there are specific torque requirements or specific assembly orders, it probably needs a work instruction. If any operation relies on "tribal knowledge", it probably needs a work instruction. I don't think there is a hard and fast "rule of thumb" for what needs and doesn't need a work instruction.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Okay, MadMango,
I think we are thinking along the same lines here. So, basically if there are some quality check points or "critical" specifications involved, a work instruction would be useful. But, if it is just an assembly process (attaching parts with screws, etc), we should not use a work instruction. Correct?

As long as the assembly step is intuitive and simple, then no instruction would be necessary.
If the assembly steps is complex or has many steps done at the same assembly step, then you may want instructions. They may not get used as aevery item is produced, but they will be there for new people or as a reminder.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

I have no idea what you are building, but if there are any quality requirements for the finished goods (sub assembly or final), there should be sufficient instructions to communicate that requirement. Those requirements are usually captured in a work instruction.

If you have a general assembly procedure that states “always use loc-tite on threads” and a particular fastener shouldn’t have loc-tite, then that might need a work instruction, and vice versa. I mostly agree with looslib, in that published work instructions may not always be read or followed, but by generating them they will exist and can be referenced for future occurrences (training).

I think we are on the same page AuburnIE.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

depends on the skill level of your workforce. If you are hiring tradesmen you establish a baseline wherein you don't explain the 'trade'. If you hire unskilled, entry level, challenged, etc., your instructions need to match their needs.

How complete work instructions are depends on the importance of the instructions to your operation. I work where we build over 100 skid steer loaders a day on (3) different assembly lines. The order in which the work is done is very important and line balancing is a particular headache. When line rate change and people are added to the line or taken away the work is redistributed. Work instructions are required for the changing operations and control of the processes. Option percentage are also important and instructions for options are required. If I was only building 5 loaders a day the instructions would not be very important.
Quality is another reason for work instructions to convey the varying requirements. We call out not only to use Loctite but to use a specific Loctite or thread sealant or silicone sealant. Different torque tools are used including break over type tools, air stall tools and DC tools.
The instructions are not read on a daily basis except for when substitute people are brought on line for whatever reason and as training tools for new associates.

If assembly drawings and training are incapable of capturing what is required for a successful build, then we will add an assembly process/work/test instructions. We make extensive use of digital photos for illustrative purposes.

Work Instructions are not a catch all and are only successful in concert with proper supervision and training. In addition, we always have a statement that associated assembly drawings and their ECOs take precedence over the work instructions should there be a discrepancy.

I agree with and utilize what automatic2 suggests in having the assemblers draft the procedures. It helps them take ownership and tends to reduce the amount of technical jargon.

Regards

I really do like the idea of using the assemblers/operators to draft the work instructions. You will involve them and at the same time create ownership and accountability. That is definitely a twist on "traditional" manufacturing philosophy. Good tip! Also, the operator that assisted with the work instruction can help to cross-train others. [smile]

By all means use the idea. It leads to a win-win situation where the operator will take ownership and you tend to get freed up to deal with other things. I have had operators (including some "old timers") thank me for listening to them and utilizing their input. They are, or will be after all, more intricately aware of the nuances of any product than either myself or the original designers. They live it on a daily basis.

Regards,

Just a question concerning using the operators to draft the WIs. When did they find/make the time to do it? Or, did you provide them with a time line of when you needed it completed? It would be helpful if I could suggest a time to get them done, so they won't default to doing it on overtime, if it is not necessary.

during regular hours, while they work. You act as their secretary, taking dictation. Another approach that I've used to do it Wiki style on the internet. Works great for JSA as well.

I also utilize it when conducting a new product launch. I will provide an initial draft for them to use/modify as training progresses. By the time I have them initially trained, they have also established instructions for general use. Proof of success comes in when they use them to train the next person and I reduce my role to more of a consulted resource.

Regards,

In my experience every task (simple or complex) requires an SOP (standard Operating Procedure). Each operator works in accordance to his/her technical IQ, some may find a complex task relatively simple.
At Dell the simplest of tasks is time studied and performed in a standard fashion, the minutest movement is studied and if analysed as wasted movement - this is erased from SOP.
The advantage of SOP is discipline, greatly helps in cellular manufacturing/assembly. The concept of takt is useful in this aspect too because this sets the pace. IT may not be necessary that completing a task fast is good.

=========================================
[2thumbsup] Mech Rulz [2thumbsup]

Work Instructions can be useful in any department. It is a good place to record specialized knowledge and techniques.

I used it in engineering design, specifically gear/gearbox design. In the company in question, there was a dearth of knowledge in that specialty. I did my part to remove the fog in power calculations, gear support and bearings, lubrication, and gear progressions in pitch, face width and gear diameter as you progress from low torque to high torque.

In my experience, everything needs a work instruction but how they are put together and how used is what matters.

On some simple jobs which simply need memory joggers, key points highlighting etc. We now use a photographic storyboard system. Rather than ' step 1, fit bolt a to part b' we show a pic of it being done with a one liner reminder of any key points. A picture speaks a thousand words and even with the most experienced operators its useful after they've been on holiday, or just when they're having an off day. We put these either at the work stations on the wall, or have them available in a local folder ready laminated and to hand.

Other more detailed work instructions we hold in training manuals, used for training but once the operator is trained up they are retained for reference only.

Finally, we have special work instructions for things which are not done so often or which require major controls e.g. procedures involving gas or electrical isolation. These use pictures and a fair amount of detailed writing as well to ensure that in these cases there is no opportunity for miscommunication or confusion.

In essence its horses for courses. Find something that works for you. I would however stress that procedures are very useful things, and if you have them don't lose them, the day will come when someone wants to examine them (e.g. legislative bodies) new operators join the team, or improvements want to be made. In these cases they are invaluable.

If paper trails are a hassle then the use of a 'manual' will work a treat, one single document control for a whole host of procedures, keeps the ISO auditors happy and makes life a bit easier.

Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back