Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What operations ACTUALLY REQUIRE work instructions?! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuburnIE

Industrial
Jan 3, 2005
US
We have implemented a detailed product development process that requires work instructions for practically every operation/assembly. However, I need to know what manufacturing operations actually REQUIRE work instructions realistically. For example, in my opinion, most simple assembly processes would not require work instructions because it would be simply 1)Get part. 2)Attach part (paraphrasing...). So, I am finding that this stage in the process is more redundant than being helpful to the operators on the manufacturing floor. It also creates a lot of excess paper work that has to be tracked and maintained. I am looking to define what needs to have a work instruction so I can make it standard in the department. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

as mentioned abve SOP are vital, they have many befits;
*remove risk of losing knowledge should someone leave the company
*Capture the corect method for training
*have a standard time for the operation
*have a known level of quality output

You should always invole the operators, who knows how to do thir job better? I use it for this reason not to save me from doing it. Also would you like your boss writing you an SOP and telling you work to this without you having an input?

In short every operation should have an SOP.

I agree, anytime value added labor is used to create something the customer is willing to pay for, there should be an accompaning work instruction.

I know my common practice is to have a well seasoned assembler perform what i call a "control build" where we sit and document step by step instructions using minimal text and digital pictures.

I use this technique for existing products, for new product releases, I perform a prototype build where I determine the build sequence, than thru continious improvement will revise the sequence as the operators become the experts.

So my opnion is, anything that adds value, needs to be documented.

All processes need work/job instructions; Quality Reasons.

This process may be redundant, but if you rotate your people; you will see the need for them.

NOTE:
When your customers visit your site; they can see the effort the company places on Standard Data the same for each and every part produced regardless of who is working in the cell.
Everyone works the data the same.

Ed Spearman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back