Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Pressure Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynamics5

Civil/Environmental
May 30, 2010
US
What pressure regulator would be advised for residence with inlet pressure of around 310 psi - a regulator with max pressure of 300 or 400 psi?
Read online: Oversizing a valve can create serious system problems, such as excessive
wear, vibration, wire draw, and noise. Some installers/designers may think
they are doing their client a favor by oversizing, but this is simply not true.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the caution against oversize is for flow-rate, not operating pressure. Since flow rate isn't mentioned, what recommendation can be made?

"Around" 310 is a bit vague.

In a worst case condition would that be 320 or 330 or ??

Domestic regulators need to seal at no flow to not bliw up the domestic fittings.

Over size is not overpressure as noted above.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Relief valve?

300 psi water can kill. Not to mention gas.
I wouldn't want any chance at all of getting 310 psi water in my residence.

The pressure regulator should be sized for the maximum flow expected and rated for the working pressure.

As has been said the pressure rating of the regulator must be at least equal to the max pressure that could be seen. As long as the desired pressure is within the normal working range control should be fine.
The bigger sizing issue is the flow rating. You don't want it too much oversized. You don't want to risk limiting flow, but too large will lead to poor response and control.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

If future flow requirements are a concern, I'd be installing two-regulators in duty/standby configuration.
Duty regulator sized accordingly for current lower flow requirements and the standby sized for additonal future flow.
Adjust the standby regulator set pressure slightly below the duty set pressure so once the duty is choked and outlet pressure starts to drop the standby regulator will come online and pick up the slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back