Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What qualifications...? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyEE

Electrical
Jul 4, 2003
US
In engineering, if you are a hiring manager what qualifications are most impressive? Please explain.

1. Education (Undergraduate, Graduate, etc.)
2. Experience (Entry level, 2yrs., 5yrs., etc.)
3. Skills, Communications (Oral and Written)
4. Skills, Technical (Designs, Codes, Calculations, etc.)
5. Skills, Computer (Hardwares, Softwares, etc.)
6. Work Authorization (Citizen, immigrant, non-immigrant)
7. Others (References, Residence, Veteran, Gender, etc.)
8. Others (Not mentioned above)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I were hiring an engineering manager, my preferences would be
1) people skills: a) the ability to communicate openly with people (mangement, employees, customers) b) manage people: challenge them, bring out their strengths, get rid of the deadwood, develop employees c) foster teamwork, d)work effectively with customers,

2) planning skills: a) being able to see the big picture (and how it affects the daily grind), b) coordinate assignments, schedules to meet deadlines, assigning the right talent to the right job, c) again, foster teamwork

3) the rest are added bonuses

This comes with experience so education and related job experiences are necessary to have developed these -- the technical part in most respects can reside with the staff (as long as the manager knows the aspects and limitations of the services offered -- and he/she knows the capabilities of that staff)

Almost anyone with an engineering degree or P.Eng can do the technical work or at least be taught to do the technical work.

Of course being legally allowed to do the work is a requirement since it would be illegal and unethical to hire someone who is not authorized to work in this country.

What I look for is honesty. Is the person honest enough to say “I don’t know.” and “I made a mistake”?

I look for interpersonal skills. Can the person get along with peers, tradesmen, supervisors and customers etc?

I look for strength of character. Will the person stand up for what he or she believes is right?

I look for the ability to solve problems. Often this involves the ability to see what the problem is and to think outside of traditional boundaries.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Working today in an engineering environment needs a positive and enterprising attitude on the part of the manager. He should have a child like enthusiasm in performing his tasks. Once these traits are in place all other requirements fall in place. This is something not taught in engineering schools .

I reckon an awareness program should be conducted in engineering schools to the existing global scenario,work atitude and thinking away from the normal and regular path.

I would have to look at the nature of the position I am hiring for first before prioritizing the personal traits in a candidate. Is the position entry level or require experience. Is it team based or not? The characteristics you indicate would all change in level of priority accordingly.

Overall though, getting a feel for an individuals honesty or integrity would weigh in first. Tough to do when meeting someone maybe once or twice before making a hiring decision but it can be expensive if you get it wrong.

Regards

I am with RDK 100%. In addition to his statements, one key trait is the ability to get along with others. This means leave your arrogance at the door and admit your mistakes. I have seen good engineering departments ruined because the engineers are entirely too competitive. A LITTLE competition is ok. This, unfortunately, can be hard to gauge.

In addition to the people skills, I would stress the communications skills. No matter what level the engineer is at, he needs to be able to comfortably and efficiently communicate with peers and subordinates.

A good test is to have the applicant do a 10 or 15 minute impromptu presentation.

As a technical lead, it's even more important to communicate the plans and goals of the organization to the people who need to do the work.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back