Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What should i do? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilchickenking

Civil/Environmental
Oct 11, 2006
US
ok, so i work for a pump manufacturer that designs and builds large pump. currently im their draftsman. up until now all has been good there but lately they've been hounding me to find a way to catch more mistakes.

they've really, flat out, just not implemented anything that would remotely resemble a system in which my work is checked. what should i do?

today i was told that some job got botched because of something that should have been caught by someone and it's landed squarely on my shoulders.

what system do you guys use check your work and how does it function?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In College my drafting instructors would not accept a drawing unless it had been signed by two other students. Your grade for any given assignment was then contingent on how well the students, whose drawings you approved, did as well as your own drawing. If you missed a glaringly obvious mistake, your "checkers" lost points. Not only did this help prevent mistakes in our own assignments but it made us do better work because we had to find the problems in other's work, and we didn't want to look like a fool for criticizing someone else's mistake while we had made the same one.

It surprizes me that this wouldn't be a common practice at other schools, but I suppose most of you were engineering students and were not required to take too many "drafting" courses. Maybe this should start being required for an engineering degree if the engineers are going to do all the drawings themselves...

Aardvarkdw -

I like it. I very much fall into your category of engineering students, like I said before about 1/2 dozen labs.

I've learnt on the job and feedback from checkers was one of my main learning tools.

ISO 9001 is very expensive and time consuming to get certified and also expensive to maintain. It also will not do anything for your problem of checking drawings. You would be better off to develop a system, get that system documented in procedures and then follow the procedures. Of course, none of that will do any good either, unless management is behind you. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back