Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what skills to be an M+P engineer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomAi

Aerospace
Dec 23, 2002
GB
I am currently working as a stress engineer, and by a quirk of fate I may be expected to work in our materials laboratory, probably doing M+P work. What retraining might I need? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mr. TomAi,

since this post is in the composite engineering forum I assume you are asking aboout M&P in composite materials.

The best place to start is start with a handbook. A good one i use everyday is

Failure Analysis of composites : published by CINDAS purdue university
Most libraries will have this.

This is not a design handbook, but one way or the other covers entire gamut of composites, their failure mechanisms, detection and disposition.

Let me know if I can help you answer any further questions.

AK

It depends on whether you will be expected to make things or break them. If you have any production capabilities at your plant, spend some time out on the floor to see where M&P can be improved.

Thanks AK, looks like I'll have to find a copy of that.

Thanks PackFan: To answer your question: On my site we do composites manufacturing, so I suspect I'll get involved with making things as well as breaking them. Up to now I have done a lot of specifying of composite materials testing and data analysis of the results.

Its the knowledge required to get involved in the manufacturing side of composites m+p that I know less about and feel I will need to train in.

Tom

Another good book on Composites, both Design and Manufacturing, is published by ASM and is "Engineered Materials Handbook - Composites", This book is a good source of material information, resins and fibers, and then has chapters on the various manufacturing techniques as well as chapters on Design, Failure Analysis, etc. I find it a useful reference book.

Barrettf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back