Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Speed Does Race Car Aerodynamics start to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spice52

Automotive
Jul 11, 2005
GB
Hello All

Any idea what sort of speed the aerodynamics start to work on a race car?

I have always thought it to be around 60mph?

Say a part of the car is out in the open, a upright etc etc, or similar, should you bother to fair it in if your top speed reached is 100mph for a short time and the average speed is say only 70 mph?

Any clues would be great

Thanks lots for comments

Marcus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not in aerodynamics in any sense, and this is probably not quite what you had in mind. However...I would have thought wind resistance starts pretty low - like above 0 mph. Walking (no where near 30 mph) I can feel drag if I don't zip up my jacket.

Take a look at the fleet of solar and human powered vehicles. Clearly, a lot of smart young people (and their computers) think aero is important even at very low speeds. Contest results tend to support the assertion.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

The University of Missouri - Rolla did some low speed wind tunnel testing for their FSAE car a year or two ago. Their was a write up in Racecar Engineering (sept-ish 2004) on it. They disproved alot of the beliefs/myths that racecar aerodynamics only work at high speed.

-Dave
Everything should be designed as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back