Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What structure of a membrane would provide the maximum surface area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAIASE

Bioengineer
Jan 4, 2013
US
What structure of a membrane would provide the maximum surface area?

Hi, can anyone recommend what form of membrane -i.e. spiral, fractal, flat plate, tubular etc- would provide the maximum amount of surface area per given volume?

The context of this problem is an aeroponic algal-membrane reactor designed to mitigate Internal Combustion Engine exhaust, specifically an 1160 Caterpillar Engine, releasing 103.2kg of CO2 per 400 miles.

Areas of concern are 1) ability to deliver uniform amount of photons, 2) allow for efficient harvesting through sheer force administered by water sprayers, and 3) minimize footprint while maximizing surface area. A lot to ask for but must be possible.

It is necessary to mention that light distribution will be delivered via fiber optics coupled with fresnel lenses. This will alleviate many constraints that external illumination arises.

The membrane would ideally be a mesh of optical fibers coated with a cationic polymer for cellular adhesion. Of what structure, shape or form is where I hope to find the most efficient design.

Thank you for your time. There are many more details, if there are any questions I'd be happy to update.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The direct application in the real world, which is scalable and adaptable to meet any emissions source (generators, chimneys, etc), is an integrated array of algae photobioreactors situated aboard a 32 foot retired school bus chassis. The seats have all been removed. It will function as a mobile demonstration unit for ecological eingineering technologies for my non-profit organization.

So space is a huge constraint, as is weight of the system. Hence my design to use membranes so as to greatly reduce water use as well as space. Essentially every surface of the bus can be covered with membranes.

The numbers break down to the bus releases 1.03kg of CO2 per mile driven (of course this is variable depending upon gear ration, load, road conditions, etc.).

Estimate that the carbon content of dry biomass from the algae is about 60% (need to check this number). Then the system would need to produce 1.03/0.6 = 1.72 kg of dry biomass per mile.

So I need to calculate what volume of algae membrane reactors are need to grow this much algae.

I plan on integrating zeolite membranes to adsorb CO2 gas and other zeolite sp. for NOx etc. This will provide a reservoir of CO2 that can be washed out and feed to algae. This will ease system stress on the reactors and provide flexibility in system footprint size.

So I need to calculate what volume of algae membrane reactors are need to grow this much algae.

With no knowledge about your application, the membrane provide the highest packing factor(m2/m3) is Hollow Fine Fibre (HFF).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back