Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what test loads for temp lift beams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve101

Structural
Sep 27, 2003
GB
I'm trying to find a reference for how much to load test a lift installation aid.

lift load 10 tonnes, suspended from a padeye that is welded to a temporary lift beam. The temporary lift beam is bolted (lindapters in tension) to existing deckbeams.

THere's a table somewhere that i've seen that recommends inplace test loads to appliy to rundway beams etc , but i can't remember the source.

i've been through BS 2573 part 1, but can't see a specific reference.

Aparently for a lift of 6 to 20t inclusive, i need to test load it to 1.5 x predicted load.But i can't find the back-up. I've got advise from test lift organisations, but have no back-up.

Suggested refernces?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although it may not give you all the information you need, DnV 'Rules for Marine Operations', Pt.2 Ch.5 'Lifting' is very useful. It also has some good references

You might also try BS 2853 'Design & testing of steel overhead runway beams'. It's very old (1957 I think) but has not been withdrawn and is still in use so far as I am aware.

steve101,

have you been successful in making the lift? I am really concern with the method proposed to lift 10tonne weight! Supposed you already had a structural engineer checked the adequacy of lindaptors, and the supporting structure for such heavy lift.

thxs

Colin

'Loose gear and accessories' such as spreaders are covered by Lloyds CLAME Table 9.1.1. This is virtually identical to Table B2 in DNV Rules for Certification of Lifting Appliances.

Lets say you were handling between 10Te and 160Te; the proof load would be 1.04x (+9.6Te) of SWL. In addition, vertical loads for offshore cranes should have a minimum dynamic factor applied of 1.3x for the load range 1Te - 250Te (DNV B304).

(10Te x 1.04) + 9.6 = 20Te Proof Load. Add the dynamic factor of 1.3 = 26Te Proof Load. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back