Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What to do early in my career

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellomynameisTroy

Jun 4, 2019
US
Hello,

I got my degree in aerospace and mechanical engineering around two years ago. I used to work as a manufacturing engineer for a plating shop for 1 year and 3 months. I quit cause of health concerns and have been looking for a job since. I want to do more design work and not so much manufacturing work. It has been about three months and I have been getting opportunities for manufacturing engineer positions. Should I take those opportunities or keep looking for something I would get excited about. How did you guys know what type of engineering specialty you guys wanted to do? Thank you so much for your time and help.

Troy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Very few people "know" exactly what they want to do for the rest of their lives. I thought I would be designing ICs when I graduated, and yet, I haven't touched the inside of a IC in 25 years, but I love what I do now. Nevertheless, manufacturing engineering is a BTDT for you and you obviously want something else. Bear in mind that the other side of the coin are those that NEVER find what they want to do for the rest of their lives.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Among other family businesses, I literally grew up in the family's diesel shop and started earning relevant trade certifications before I graduated high school. I then enlisted as a diesel mechanic, worked as one in the civilian world, and went to college to become a ME. Although I dabbled in aerospace during school most of my experience has been automotive related and Detroit is my favorite city so working in the auto industry made sense for me.

Start with what you know and keep going until you find what you love.

If you want to design, get into a design position. A tour or two in manufacturing will help gain valuable knowledge. After that, you'll be drifting away from the point where it is best to switch over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back