Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What to look for in a potential business partner 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDoe0222

Structural
Nov 12, 2018
US
Hello all,

I am just wondering what tips you all have for finding the right potential business partner. There is one of my fellow coworkers that I get along with well enough, I feel like we have complementary skill sets, he has more experience than me, but not by much. His engineering work is top-notch. He has expressed a desire to start his own engineering firm, and I think he would jump at the prospect of working with me. The one big downside - he complains a lot. It seems like he is always complaining about our bosses. I don't know if it is just our bosses or if he is in fact a Debby Downer. Any suggestions? Any tips on the most essential qualities in a business partner?

Thanks,
JD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a lot of complainers who do nothing but complain or think that it is somehow unique that they see that something is wrong. There are occasionally complainers who are so annoyed by things being broken that they are compelled to go fix them. Sometimes, I wonder if a lot of people who appear to be proactive and optimist are just pessimist that have learned how to grease the wheels and play the game to hopefully make something happen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back