Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Type of Foundation for Coastal Building (Seaside)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakmuh

Structural
Jul 9, 2012
GB
Hi,

I have to design a villa, 3-storey with 12m x 10m dimension, near the sea, in an Arabian Gulf country. I just want to know what type of foundation is suitable and what other measures, concerns etc should be taken for this type of residential building foundation design. I don't think pad footing would be safe?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

NB: I'm working with Eurocodes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get a geotechnical engineer with experience in the area. You have many considerations to make....soil conditions, wind, constructability, storm surge, frangible walls,....and on and on...

The choice of the footing/foundation is determined by the material under the building. Are there any tests to look at to determine what you are building on? You could be building on anything from rock to a hydraulic fill.

Are there any local requirement for elevation?

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

Ron...thanks for your advice. Yes, we're to get a geotechnical engineer for this project but as a design engineer. End of the day I need to increase my knowledge on all aspects of structural engineering. So I just want to know the type of foundation used for coastal buildings.. :)

Hi dick-concretemasonry

No there aren't any requirement in particular. 200m away from the beach, 1500mm below we find 500mm thick rock layer. The soil type near the beach is 'dense silty sand'. Very hard soil. Only excavators can do excavation!

Zak...the foundation type will depend on the factors noted. There are buildings that will perform adequately on shallow, deep or mat(raft) foundation. There are numerous types of deep foundations that can be used from augered concrete piles to driven timber piles.

I imagine flooding may be of concern as well. When dealing with coastal construction one of the first questions I typically try to figure out is what the storm surge is. You may not have that problem where your project is located (I have no idea on what the weather conditions are on the Arabian Coast) but your certainly do up the East Coast of the US.

The geotech reports I've seen usually have a section where they talk about a suggested foundation type given the type of soils found. I always find that helpful.

Hi Zakmuh and all! I have have the same question. I am designing a bungalow in Bahamas. I have the same question, and would not expect clayey soil but sand. Lot is two miles from seaside. I would propose the question if mat foundation is the likely way to go as opposed to continuous or spread footing. House is 70'x30' in plan. Input is appreciated. There is no geotech involved and not likely to be.

Usually in sand you see recommendations for timber or steel piling. The scour potential on beaches sort of negates use of shallow spread footings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back