Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What type of grease for high RPM fans? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezombie

Electrical
Aug 8, 2012

Hello.

I'm looking for a low viscosity grease that is suitable for sleeve bearings on high RPM fans. I have this high temperature lithium based grease which has viscosity around 100 mm²/s (cSt) and temperature range of up to 150°C. It's being advertised as a grease for electromotors. But it seems that it reduces rpm on smaller and high rpm fans.

What other lower viscosity grease could you recommend for this purpose?
Could I try white lithium grease with PTFE (teflon). Is it suitable for long term lubrication and high temperatures?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are two several products LE 1275, LE3752, and Krotoxs xtat we use extensively on several types and sizes of plain bearings. I can't recall any lubrication problem with any of bearings on the units. These air handles run 24/7/365. The operating environment is high temperatures and high humidity. Both materials LE are essentially immune to water intrusion. Krytox is immune to everything
Much higher on the list would be the use of Kryotox, Fluorocarbon Grease

d&filter=&by=prod

8k4G4Co2GjLcDjeDFo1XImvQQCAAQASDHmPgFKAJQ64Osofj___
__AWDJhrSH3KO8FcgBAaoEH0_Q1NOzANe8gFabquJkDMEBSoQy
_7HP7ufM94fCFhyABZBO&sig=AOD64_3FLOCoF78AfC4kHh1RlJB
PKLh-xA&ved=0CF4Q0Qw&adurl=http://www2.dupont.com/Lub
ricants/en_US/index.html%3Fsrc%3Dkrytox

Thanks for your answer. After going through the specs I see that the first two products have even higher viscosity than the grease I already possess.
I don't have a large choice of products where I live so I could use a tip as to what kind of grease I should look for. For example, white lithium grease with PTFE is available but I don't if it is suitable for long term lubrication of fast spinning equipment.

I would contact L.E., as they can get you the proper viscosity grease for you application . You can probably get a sample

I've never had any any Eureka moment using micronized Teflon additives in oil and grease.

Not all fluorocarbon base lubricants are created equal. We have had very good results using lubricants from Nye. Sometimes a pricey but well worth it to solve a lubrication problem.
It's the same as putting $2.00/gal oil in your car instead of the needed $8.00/gal.

Sorry exzombie, I made a mistake in the viscosity values. The SKF LGHP 2 has 96 cSt @ 40C and 10.5 cSt @ 100C. Nevertheless, it is still a good grease for high speed fans as indicated in the datasheet. Lower than that for viscosity, you are looking at a grease designed for extremely high speeds or very low temperatures. See the SKF LGLT 2 grease. I still think the LGHP 2 is the best suited in this case.

Yes, thanks. I also see they also have a special grease LGLT 2 with super low viscosity of 18 cSt @ 40C. The only drawback seems to be the price (I think it's as high as 30 Euro for 200ml tube).
I think I might be able to buy either LGHP 2 or LGLT 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back