Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What type of plastic line for this application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandwhiteg3

Computer
Nov 22, 2008
US
I'm trying to work out the best type of plastic line for an application requiring good sustained load properties, minimal plastic or elastic deformation under operating conditions, good UV tolerance. If possible, it would be transparent, translucent, or at the very least white in color.

For operating conditions, it will be underwater, exposed to direct sunlight, and under a sustained load of around 60 kg. Elasticity and stretch must be minimal. Operating temperature range would be about -12° C to 45° C.

My needs sound a lot like a high-strength fishing line. But most of those lines don't really provide good data on elasticity, UV tolerance, effect of temperature on strength, etc.

A lot of high tension polymer fiber based ropes are out there, but they tend to be drastically overkill for my application - the load values and diameters are grossly larger than I need, and consequently quite expensive.

Any suggestions on what / where to look for the kind of material I need?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back