Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What type of sensor do I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melaurint

Chemical
Oct 22, 2002
US
I am looking to measure a fiberous deposition that forms on a pressing roll. The thickness of the deposit ranges from 0mm at first, to 1mm thick and can cover the circumference of the roll uniformly or can form in a nonuniform blotchy fashion. The color of the deposition can range from white to brown against a dark colored roll surface. The roll is slow moving about 60 rpm.
I prefer to measure the roll on a continuous basis.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The roll can be made of hard rubber(red or white in color) or chrome. The material can be synthetic or paper fibers or a organic stickie substance. The build-up will be slow over time, anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or longer.

Thanks for the info.
The Ultrasonic sensor looks promissing. However I think this models voltage output vs. target distance is much to low to detect a change of 1 mm. significantly. Am I wrong on this? Are there any more sensitive?

Thanks for the information djs.
I've ordered their catalog.
Is there a way to measure color change over time? The deposit does cause the roll to change color as the deposit layer builds up. I was taking pictures of the roll over time and measuring the color change using a program that can measure RGB value(Photoshop). I could then measure a % change from the original color, but this method is too labor intensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back